Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved my new Colt WW2 1911A1 Reproduction pistol (not to be confused with Colt's 1911 repro now being produced). Bought the pistol on Gunbroker for $700. It has a small rub mark on the top of the slide where someone fumble-fingered it, but otherwise appears unfired and pristine. I'm very pleased with the fit and finish of it. I heard that these WW2 repro's sometimes had uneven parkerized finishes, but mine looks fantastic. The trigger face is smooth rather than the checkered triggers of the original GI .45's, but the trigger pull is better (lighter&crisper) than any GI .45 I ever shot as a Hospital Corpsman in the early 80's. Haven't got to shoot it yet, but I'll probably get to the range on Mon., and I'll post how it did after. Viva La Colt!

nero

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have one too and I recently picked up one of the 1911 WWI reissues to complement it; absolutely beautiful guns.

Did they make two serial number ranges for the 1911A1 WWII reissue? Mine is WK018XX but I've seen some with WMK#####. Is this because Colt originally planned to make only 4000 of these guns but then made a second run to fill the unexpected demand? Does anyone know which s/n range came first?

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 05-21-2004).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is WKO12xx. I believe the first run were serial# prefix WK, the rest WMK. There are a few minor differences between the two. The WMK has the old type slide stop "window" cut-out on the frame, whereas the WK has Colt's current larger cut-out. The WMK has a small tit on the inside of recoil spring plug, that locks the plug on the recoil spring. The WK doesn't have that tit. The WK has lettering on the left frame directly above the grip panel that says "Colt's PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.", the WMK has PROPERTY OF US GOVERNMENT. Basically, after the first run (WK), Colt made these subtle changes to make the WW2 repro more authentic. These small differences make no difference to me. I bought this pistol as a guilt-free, M1911A1 shooter, rather than a authentic WW2 1911 that I'd feel guilty shooting too much. I could have got the SA GI .45 for less, but then it wouldn't be a Colt!

nero

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dear Nero and Blokey,
Super, Guys! Any chance of some pix? I'd like to hear about grouping? I once owned a WWI issue gun and it shot better than I could believe and NEVER malfunctioned. I'm planning on getting one of these myself as soon as I can and you guys represent BOTH! Tell me more!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Pics? No problem.

Pic hosting? Problem.

I don't know how or where to post pics. Can I email pics to you with the message board email function?

BTW - I haven't had a chance to shoot either of my guns in question yet, I've actually been having a lot of fun recently shooting another John Browning classic, an FN (Belgian made) Hi-Power.

The WWI reissue gun is beautiful, the "Carbonia" blue is one of the nicest finishes I've ever seen on a gun. The s/ns on these guns are ####WMK so matching s/ns for the two reissues would have been nice. The gun comes with a nice set of accoutrements including a reprint of the old manual. I'm not sure how faithful a reproduction it is (apparently, as nero pointed out with the first series WWII gun there are some differences) but I felt it was a perfect addition to my 1911(A1) collection. I doubt you will be disappointed.

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 05-22-2004).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dear Nero and Blokey,
Thanks for the talk and the pix. I don't know anything about the pix biz, either. I just like to LOOK!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a digital camera, so the only pics of my WW2 repro are ones I uploaded from the auction. But they're pretty dark and don't do justice to the pistol. BUT I do have a link for you of some fantastic pics of Colt's WW2 repro M1911A1. I don't know who took these photos but they are great and do show how beautiful the pistol really is:
http://imageevent.com/bodeen/coltwwiirepro;jsessionoid=4jmyae2wg1.buffa lo_s?n=0&z=3&c=3&x=1&m=15&w=0&p=0

nero

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 05-22-2004).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took my WW2 to the range this morning and put 170 rounds of hardball thru it. The pistol performed flawlessly. No FTF or FTE. Shot POA. I was able to shoot 2-3 inch groups consistantly at 30 feet free-hand, though the tiny sights made me feel like I was working alot harder. I'm very pleased and impressed with my new WW2 repro!

nero

1 - 9 of 9 Posts