Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How accurate are these conversion kits??? My friend has one and it does not seem to be very accurate however he won't let anyone shoot it and it could just be him. It also has a problem with feeding no mater what brand of ammo he uses. I would apperciate any feedback I could get on this matter before I go spend the money on one.

Thanks for the help
Commander83

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Accuracy varies from unit to unit and on the ammo used.

The unit I bought back in the 1960's was VERY accurate but only after I bought a box of every brand and type of .22 ammo I could find and test fired it until I found a brand it "liked".

One brand was even more accurate, but caused failures to eject.

These conversion kits were intended to be "trainers" for the .45, and the floating chamber increases recoil about 4 times to simulate .45 recoil.

The problem with accuracy is the Williams floating chamber.
This just isn't conductive to high grade accuracy, and the floating chamber tends to lead up. Some guns lead badly, others may go for hundreds of rounds with no trouble.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for target grade accuracy, the Colt conversion unit probably won't suit you.

There are conversion kits on the market that DO deliver high grade accuracy, but they aren't Colt made, and they don;t have the floating chamber.
Most of these have light weight aluminum slides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know I will look into other conversion kits not made by colt. I just want to have a fun shooting .22 that looks cool and can hit what I am aiming at. My friend also has a colt .22 that is the whole gun not a conversion unit. His grandpa gave it to him a few months ago. That little gun shoots great.

Thanks again
Commander83

1 - 3 of 3 Posts