Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gun store has a Colt XSE Lightweight Government is stock.

It's rare to find any new Colts in stock here in California.

Are these Aluminum frame guns as reliable and durable as the steel versions?

The price is $1199 which seems kind of high, but then everything seems kind of high these days.

Does anyone have one of this model? How do you like it?

Another question is are these Novak carry sights adjustable for windage (left and right)?

Dave

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I'd say the aluminum frames are as reliable as the steel ones, but certainly not quite as durable, but they seem to hold up well. Colt's been making alloy framed Commanders since 1949.

The price is a bit over MSRP, but consistent with prices I've seen on the net.

Yes and its a nice pistol IMO and I like it. I've owned several Government Models over the years and opted for the LWT GM because it would be different.

The sights are adjustable, but mine don't want to move, I think they's cemented in place.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The Lightweight Commander makes more sense to me, however a Colt in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Agreed and mine is my everyday carry. It's dead nuts accurate out of the box. Shoots better than I do ;-) . Don't get the whole LW full sized GM though, especially when a shorter version carries better. To each their own.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I have to agree that a LWT Commander is better balanced and certainly carries better.

But when I went looking for a new pistol I wasn't exactly sure which one I wanted. I probably would have chosen a Gov't .38 Super, but couldn't find one. Looked at a Combat Elite at one shop and would have bought the 100 year 1911 repro, but they didn't have one.

So I found the XSE LWT Gov't online at a slightly lower or older MSRP and ended up with it.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I have to agree that a LWT Commander is better balanced and certainly carries better.

But when I went looking for a new pistol I wasn't exactly sure which one I wanted. I probably would have chosen a Gov't .38 Super, but couldn't find one. Looked at a Combat Elite at one shop and would have bought the 100 year 1911 repro, but they didn't have one.

So I found the XSE LWT Gov't online at a slightly lower or older MSRP and ended up with it.
Ken, ya know I wasn't dissing your choice. I'm guilty of seeing any number of GM, Gold Cup or Commander models and wanting em all. That's how I ended up with a Gold Cup Trophy in stainless when I was actually looking for a blued GM. So I still have the blued on my radar but the Gold Cup scratched the itch :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out the issue is moot.

I went to the LGS and the lightweight 1911 Government 45ACP isn't on the list of guns that can be purchased by the public in California. So it is for sale only to LEOs.

They also had a Gold Cup and it too was marked LEO Only.

Makes a lot of sense that a target pistol with an eight round magazine can't be purchased unless you are a peace officer.

But the public can buy several models of 45 ACP Glocks with 10 round mags and that's OK.

I think it's also OK to buy the XSE Commander, but not the Government.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts

I went to the LGS and the lightweight 1911 Government 45ACP isn't on the list of guns that can be purchased by the public in California. So it is for sale only to LEOs.

Dave
Great jumpin jehosophats ! I couldn't imagine how bad I would want a particular Colt if I could walk into a store and see it but wasn't allowed to buy it.
here in the free states.. :rolleyes: the money to buy it is merely the hurdle.
I do believe I'd have to load up and get on the other side of that fence... since the Colt bug bit me a few years ago, Inside that fence would be a living misery.
Bless you and your burden over there and I apologize for straying from the original matter.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Wow, that is all I am going to say

Makes a lot of sense that a target pistol with an eight round magazine can't be purchased unless you are a peace officer.

But the public can buy several models of 45 ACP Glocks with 10 round mags and that's OK.

I think it's also OK to buy the XSE Commander, but not the Government.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts