Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to the current Colt plant recently? Are they really producing guns, there are never any new ones around here. Colt does not advertise, and has not put out a catalog in a long time. Are they really still in business, or just distributing some guns made by someone else under their name.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Haven't been to the plant but judging by their website, they are making small amounts of pistols, rifles and SAs. At my local gun shop, the only new Colts I've seen have been the 70 series reissues and a couple 1991s.

You're right, I haven't seen any advertising but they do still have a print catalog. My FFL recently returned from the SHOT show and brought me back a 2006 catalog which has this for the cover:

The contents are exactly the same as the website, no DA revolvers.

I also have a 2005 catalog which has a cowboy on the cover. The 2005 catalog has the Cowboy, Python Elite and Anaconda in addition to the familiar pistols, rifles and SAs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Interesting report!

Sounds like as I have expected, that newly mfgd. Pythons would be $2,000.00 plus maybe, and Diamondbacks near the same. I can't believe they would be of the quality of ones of the past.

Fortunately there are a few old ones still around that have not hit that figure yet, and I emphasize the word "YET".

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here's a post from another forum:

GrantCunningham

quote:Originally posted by Fungunner
Judging from their website, Colts Mfg is producing the Python Elite in 4 and 6 inch barrel, stainless or blue finish. It appears to come out of their custom shop, so I don't think it will be something a po'folk, like m'self would want to afford.

Unfortunately, my conversations with the folks at Colt (including the Custom Shop) indicate that they are not making any revolvers right now; haven't produced any Pythons in a "couple of years"; sold out any remaining Python Elite stock "over a year ago"; have "no plans to produce any revolvers at least through 2006"; and "haven't even talked about re-introducing any revolvers in the future."

That is from the horse's mouth; in addition, a "reliable industry source" tells me that it appears Colt has "chopped up" the tooling and sold off the machinery that had been used to make Pythons. He does say that he classifies this as a "credible rumor", so take it with a grain of salt - but given their antics lately, it wouldn't surprise me.

John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
On this, Colt has often been rumored to have "chopped up" tooling or sold it off to another company.
Colt doesn't do this, since they well know that things change.

So, while the Python is out of production, I'm sure Colt has the equipment stored somewhere safe.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
They sure in hell didn't store the New Service jigs and fixtures "somewhere safe"!!! Left it outside,exposed to the elements,as they needed the room inside for 1911 and M.G. production during World War Two.

Or at least that is the "excuse" they gave to those who wanted a big bore D.A. revolver in the Colt lineup after the war.

A shame if this is totally true,and Colt's failure to have a big bore D.A. revolver in its product line for close to 1/2 century(until the Anaconda) was one of their major marketing failures.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts