Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate the word "clone" when referring to a revolver, sort of conjures up something distasteful in my mind.

I've always liked the western single action style of revovler, patterned after the famous Colt Single Action Army. Over the years I've put many thousands of rounds through my guns, mostly heavy .44 Magnum ammunition as well as .45 Colt. These have usually been Rugers, and those built up to suit me, with handsome wood grips and color case hardening. Might as well look good as well as shoot well.

I've only got one Colt Single Action, a customized Single Action Army .357 Magnum. Though do have, and prefer, New Frontiers, of which I currently have three. But also have a few foreign made copies or look-alikes. Now I've stated before that I can't tell from my targets which guns shot which groups. Every gun I've got shoots better than I can hold, and I'm a pretty fair shot with the handgun.

Now when I stick up for the non-Colts, I'm sort of made to feel like some kind of buffoon since my gun is not a Colt. Sure its not a Colt, never will be. But I've taken game critters which never questioned my choice of firearm for the day. Even quality is not that much different form one to the other. In fact there is more difference in quality between two Colts than there often is between a Colt and non-Colt.

Quality is nice, and a Colt is a Colt. But its at the target where it all comes down to count.

There. Said my piece.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
In my opinion, the SAA design and invention belong to Colt morally anyway, even if the Patents have expired of course, and, even if others have emulated the design.

I have handled quite a few original Colt ( 1st Generation ) SAAs, and, they have their own 'magic' somehow, no matter how nicely done an emulation may be by others.

I own a few Italian renditions, and, they have been really good, and, high quality and reliable, and, I appreciate the for what they are, even if with a little conflict.

Four, high condition, used Italian emulations, will cost one about the same amount of money, as a messed up. low condition, worn out Colt SAA.

So, for me, being of a modest income, and wanting to Shoot and have fun, I opted for a few Italian emulations.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I've always liked the way you think Bob, and this is yet another sample of why I do.

When it comes to "copies" or "look-a-likes" I always equate that with the automobile, and whenever someone says to me, "Oh, nice gun, but it's a clone" or something like that I usually say to them, "what make of car do you drive", and after they tell me I just say, "Oh, you drive a clone". It always puts an odd look on their face, but I just tell them that since they aren't really driving one made by the original car company that built the very first one, then by definition, they must be driving a "clone", or "copy". It usually tightens up their lip pretty quick.

It always amazes me that some people look right down their noses at someone using a copy of a Colt SAA yet they drive to the range in a vehicle that wasn't manufactured by the original inventor. We use tools and thousands of other items every day that are copies of an original idea, yet we don't consider them "copies" or "clones".

And speaking of manufacturing look-a-likes, even the automobile that most think was invented in the 1880's, was probably invented more than two hundred years prior to that. So, it's quite possible that the first "modern" automobile to hit the streets was really just a ........................... clone.

Good post Bob

Bud

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Drawing Formula libre
The first automobile perhaps? Who knows. Click on the link to find out more.

Hate the word "clone" when referring to a revolver, sort of conjures up something distasteful in my mind.

I've always liked the western single action style of revovler, patterned after the famous Colt Single Action Army. Over the years I've put many thousands of rounds through my guns, mostly heavy .44 Magnum ammunition as well as .45 Colt. These have usually been Rugers, and those built up to suit me, with handsome wood grips and color case hardening. Might as well look good as well as shoot well.

I've only got one Colt Single Action, a customized Single Action Army .357 Magnum. Though do have, and prefer, New Frontiers, of which I currently have three. But also have a few foreign made copies or look-alikes. Now I've stated before that I can't tell from my targets which guns shot which groups. Every gun I've got shoots better than I can hold, and I'm a pretty fair shot with the handgun.

Now when I stick up for the non-Colts, I'm sort of made to feel like some kind of buffoon since my gun is not a Colt. Sure its not a Colt, never will be. But I've taken game critters which never questioned my choice of firearm for the day. Even quality is not that much different form one to the other. In fact there is more difference in quality between two Colts than there often is between a Colt and non-Colt.

Quality is nice, and a Colt is a Colt. But its at the target where it all comes down to count.

There. Said my piece.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow! Sounds like sensible people here! What tbe heck happened? Some folks get bent outta shape if you like something other than a Colt. My problem is they dont make new Dragoons, 1860 Armys, '72 Opentops the "Colts" I love.( Even the 2nd and 3rd gen black powder "Colts" were made from those Italian "clone" (sorry Bob) parts houses!!! ) Since Colt cant or wont, I have no choice but to buy the next best thing. The good thing is, I can buy new , quality copies, at a good enough price, that when I get done doing my thing to them, I have something that even Sam himself might be impressed with!Thanks for this thread Bob. If I didn't think Colts were great , I wouldnt have joined with this bunch in the first place (im in more than enough as it is!). I try to at least stick to the topic instead of going off on what a pos everything else BUT a Colt is!!!!!!!Nuff said.Dragoon

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Reactions: Jim Martin

·
Registered
280 Posts
Think how boring the gun hobby would be if they only made one type of pistol, shotgun, rifle, etc. Im a Colt SAA lover but that's not to say that I think the copies are junk, I have a couple of Ubertis and they are fine guns BUT I wouldn't put a pair of Jerry Meacham or Nutmeg ivories on them. Im particular in the way my firearms look and I baby if you will every firearm I own whether it cost 400 bucks or 2000, They are all in their own way a work of art, each with its own personality. I don't take anymore time cleaning and polishing my Colts than I do my Uberti copies, as Bob calls them. Granted there are some junk copies out there but, I think the members of this board are smart enough to know what Brand or Brands they are and also know that when if comes to buying something, you get what you pay for. JMHO, Smoke

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Well now I know you feel better. ;)

The word clone is mostly used to identify the semi-auto copies of Colt's 1911 pistol. It has long been a word associated and accepted in that manner. I'm betting that if you take a survey of most members here they will be like you, me and probably, all the above posters, in that we're not Colt snobs; we all have other brands of firearms and love some, perhaps, as much or more than our Colt's.

Variety is certainly the spice of life but since this is the "Colt Forum" I guess we all focus more intently on that brand. And to be honest I think i shoot like you; I can't tell the difference in the holes on the paper from the rounds of my Colts or the other makers. :cool:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
While to me and many others there is obviously an increased value in owning a Colt 1911 or a Colt SAA vs. one of the clones or copies, it doesn't in anyway mean that they are junk. Now, with that said, I do put a premium on the name colt on a gun vs. any other name on the gun. But that is no different then anything else with me. I prefer Fords to other vehicles, I prefer Polo to other shirts, I prefer Coke to other soda, I prefer Browning and Remington Shotguns, and I drink Crown Royal rather than Jack. Does it mean the others are junk...not necessarily, just that to me personally I do put a premium on that particular brand. I would take/value a Colt SAA far more then a Uberti one in the same way I would take a Browning Citori over a Uberti over/under. I do have to disagree though, that most of the SAA/1911 clones I have seen would fall more into the tool category rather then the work of art category of their colt bretheren.

And one Clarification, the Ford preference is a matter of economics, while I would take a JAG, Lambourghinni, Ferrari, Rolls, or Porsche in a heartbeat over a Ford, it isn't an economic reality to expect that to ever happen to me.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The word 'clone' really seems a poor choice to me for these comparisons.

Maybe it amuses those who use it, but, it is a wrong term in every way.

A 'clone' is a grown genetic replicant of the Genetic material Donor.

None of the guns mentioned are either Biological in origin, nor are they 'grown' nor do they possess Genetic material for the process.

Some may be highly accurate Copies...the rest, in my view, are Emulations.

If I had a Nickel for every time someone has spoken of the "1911 clone", (when the Pistol is neither an m1911 nor a clone or even a close copy of an m1911, ) I could go out and but a high condition actual m1911 with that HUGE Bag-o'-Nickels! Lol...

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have absolutely NO problem with what guns anyone chooses to shoot. Reproduction, copy etc. If you are happy with them, that's what counts.

For me, personally, every copy I ever owned, well, I just wished it was an original, so I buy and shoot originals.

If someone makes fun of your inexpensive or reproduction gun, or beat up pickup, or whatever, they are probably very unhappy people and, they just need to get a life.:)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The word 'clone' really seems a poor choice to me for these comparisons.

Maybe it amuses those who use it, but, it is a wrong term in every way.

A 'clone' is a grown genetic replicant of the Genetic material Donor.

None of the guns mentioned are either Biological in origin, nor are they 'grown' nor do they possess Genetic material for the process.

Some may be highly accurate Copies...the rest, in my view, are Emulations.

If I had a Nickel for every time someone has spoken of the "1911 clone", (when the Pistol is neither an m1911 nor a clone or even a close copy of an m1911, ) I could go out and but a high condition actual m1911 with that HUGE Bag-o'-Nickels! Lol...
Just wanted to point out, you are using a modern interpretation of the word. Historically clone has meant "One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function:." So in that instance, clone is the proper term.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I generally only get involved in such things to give an alternative viewpoint to those who say "My Finllintheblankitaliangun's just as good as a Colt at a third of the money", for the benefit of those readers who don't have a personal bank of experience to make an informed choice.

If you like the clones, or can't spring for a Colt, that's perfectly fine.
If you're satisfied with a clone, equally fine.

I just point out that there's a reason the Colt costs more (not entirely name value) and no Italian clone I've ever owned, borrowed, or looked at, was the equal of the genuine Peacemaker.

Several clones have gone through here over the years, the best were the USFAs, but while one lone USFA Rodeo remains, all of the other clones that either I or my wife have personally owned have been sold.

Nowdays the Italian guns have improved immensely & can be fine shooters.
Buy 'em if you like 'em.
Still not a Colt, though. :)
Denis

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Certainly, when it comes to the genuine Colt ( or Whitneyville, ) Dragoons or the Walker...one is going to have a very expensive time of it, if wishing to own and shoot one and go plinking with one and so on.

Or...one elects one of the emulations/copies/clones/renditions which were made today or made in the last several decades, by others who are not Colt or Whitneyville.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The first time I heard the word 'clone' used to describe an object was the Barret/Jackson auctions. In an effort to squeeze out the maximum dollar from over-restored fake 67 SS chevelles, they started to use the word 'clone'. They have now progressed to 'tribute' to describe the same fake. In the old days, if you tried to pass off a fake, or tribute car, you were called a fraud. Today, you are considered 'creative'. I don't think the makers of these SAA's are out to fool the public into thinking their product is a Colt, so I just view them for what they are, and what they do. When someone comes up to me and says, "Oh you have a copy of a Colt SAA", I just say, "Nope, I've got an original (fill in the blank), and show them the rollmarks on the gun.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Cheap attempts to denigrate a poster's name bear all the hallmarks of an intellectually deficient adolescent sneaking onto a parent's Internet account when nobody's around to spank him.

Dragoon, you are at full liberty to ignore my opinions if you don't like them, as well as take a long walk off a short pier.

If I see opinions expressed which may cause an un-informed reader here or anywhere else to spend hard-earned money under a mistaken impression based on incomplete or inaccurate info, I'll step in regardless of your juvenile feelings on the matter, which I could not care less about.

Beyond that, people are free to make an informed choice based on more than one side of the equation.
Denis

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Now here is a subject I could relate to. When I started to shoot handguns I WAS BEYOND BROKE. I loved revolvers but looked at Colts and said NOO WAAAYYY.The quality was wonderful but the prices were too rich for me. I finnaly found a Model 10 that belonged to a Sheriff with a bull barrel that was 175 dollars so I had my first revolver. I would hear "it's not a Colt" to which I would reply "Yep but at least I am in the game."It took another 6 years before I was able to get my first Colt.There are probably many SAA fans in the exact same boat I was in at that time. Be it Italian Copy or whatever they bought the best SAA that they could afford and are out shooting and enjoying them.If they hear "It's not a Colt" they too can smile and say "Yep but I am in the game."......JMHO......Mike

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Respect

DPrissy,Sounds like same song.Give it a freakin rest.Go make love to your Colt.
Colt forum does not tolerate rudeness . You want respect for your decision to like Colt clones and even commented on it . Now you disrespect another for preferring a Colt .

Make a decision . Before your next post , do you want to participate here in a respectful manner or move along . It makes no difference to me but it's in your hands .

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yessir, market envy, Colt did it right and so many,, many today "copy" Colt, everyone, including S&W make a 1911 'type' ....sounds good to me, and as I always say, you shoot, use, buy, what YOU can afford, but if you want a "Colt" you gotta buy one, whether a SAA or a 1911 or an AR or...............;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts