Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a law enforcement carbine the other day and had a few questions for y’all.
Is it normal for the roll mark to be that light and inconsistent when it comes down to text depth? The same goes for the restricted roll mark on the other side of the rifle.

I posted a picture of my M4’s roll mark for comparison.

Are the m4 carbines still produced?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Attachments

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
One of the drawbacks with roll dies, the item that makes the roll mark, is that they can leave inconsistent impression depth. Inconsistent roll mark depth is not uncommon at all. Also, different dies made different lines in some cases. So, one die could have been new while the other dies were well worn thus creating additional inconsistencies in the appearance.

The carbine that you have is an LE6920. The same basic carbine is still in production as the CR6920. The 'roll marks' are now laser engraved which provides a uniform appearance and depth of all alphanumeric characters.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

Sometimes there are defects in the roll marking process like this example borrowed from the net, the incomplete letters O & L of the word COLT.

There are some with just the letter O or just the letter L that's bad.

Notice on your first picture we call that a crop circle, light circular marks at the right side of the words Enforcement and Carbine.

I have a Match Target HBAR MT6601 lower receiver with very light roll marks at the left side of the lower receiver markings, it sometimes happens.

Here's an example of half laser engraving and roll markings on my former carbine, the horse logo, Colt, M4 Carbine, caliber and selector markings are roll marked while the serial number, Colt Defense and QR code are laser engraved, this was made in 2016.

Reactions: Chad Allred
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.