Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a blue steel pre series 80 Combat Commander chambered in .38 Super. The pistol belonged to a life long friend who left the piece under the seat of his truck with the usual ugly results. There was slight pitting on the left side of the slide so my buddy used a scotch bright pad to removed the rust, then he simply painted the entire pistol with black krylon. After his repairs and refinish job the rollmarks on the left side of the slide were left very shallow though still readable. This pistol is like new internally and shoots and functions perfectly.
It is my desire to have the entire pistol refinished and the rollmarks either deepened or reengraved. I have discussed this with Ford's in Florida, and they say they have the stencils to reengrave the rollmarks, and can refinish the pistol. They said that their blue will be darker than Colt's royal blue. It will cost about $400.00 to have the pistol refinished after I pay to ship it to and from Florida.
My other option is to ship the pistol to Colt's and have it refinished by the factory. I called customer service and was told that Colt's could deepen the rollmarks when they refinish the pistol. Does anyone know about what Colt's charges to do a complete refinish in Colt Royal Blue? I would very much prefer to have the pistol refinished by the factory if they are reasonable and can deepen the rollmarks.

Thanks for your help.. SS

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
here's a link to the Colt website - Open the third catalog down marked 2012 Custom Retail Price List - this will show all the work that they can do along with prices. This will give you an idea, but call and talk to someone to make sure.

Colt Firearms Catalog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it'll be off to the Custom Shop. I'll call to be sure they can deepen the rollmarks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Congrats on your new Colt!

It would be great if you'd post some before/after pictures of your Combat Commander. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... What were the odds? I had decided to ship the gun to Colt next week to have the front strap checkered, a S&A grip safety, Novak low mount sites installed, then a complete refinsh. On a whim I thought I'd check the gun auction websites one more time to see if I could locate a proper slide for my commander. To my complete surprise, I found a complete correct slide, barrel, bushing, spring and plug combo on Gun Broker. The complete package is on the way. I should now have a very presentable .38 Super Commander in time for the Fourth of July.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Are you still going to have Colt spruce it up??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to remove the paint from the frame, and the factory finish on it is still in good condition, save normal wear. I'll be leaving the entire pistol as it will be with original finish on the frame and slide. I'll post a pic wihen I get it together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts