Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I leave my Colt revolvers and a semi-automic out in the open air without any protective bags or boxes as long as I keep them well oiled? So far no rust has appeared. I just hate the thought of putting them away. I like to look and "handle them with care" often. Is there any protective oil that is the best in your opinion? Thanks fellow Colt lovers.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I live in Louisiana where 98% humidity is not uncommon.
Even the gun which travels with me in the car while wearing a leather holster has no surface rust. I've been using a product called Corosion-X for about a year now and couldn't be happier with the results.

Dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm conducting an experiment with a polished stainless Vaquero. I coated it with Renaissance Wax, mounted it, and put it on my mantle. After two months of exposure to the "elements" in my family room, I have noticed no change in the finish.

Re: Safety. My kids are gone, the grand-kids know not to touch it when they visit, it is un-loaded, and there is no ammo in the room.

Notice I picked the stainless Ruger and not one of my blued Colts or Smith. I am not that adventurous with my better guns, and that is not a slur on Rugers. Rust, if it forms, is easier to clean from a stainless gun.

Keep in mind that we've had very little rain in Tucson since October. The humidity is in the 8-15% range.

John

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
While stainless can and will rust, it will take a much longer time to form than on blued steel. The polished finish with it's closed pores will take even longer for the rust to form. That experiment will be mostly useless for blued firearms.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Humidity of 9-15% that sounds fraking wonderful to me. IT's not enough in Louisiana for it to get in the high 90's for months it also has to get into the high 90's for humidity too.

Dave

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry bisley, my comment was directed to John, but I do use Rem oil for all my lubrication and protection. Although I do clean them all and apply a coat or 2 of wax to them every now and then.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wipe my display guns down once a week (or after each time I handle them) with a silicone cloth. I think Outers is the brand. Walmart sells them. Called a reel and gun cloth, I think. Anyway, I wipe 'em down with that and so far rust hasn't been a problem.

2nd Generation Colt Model 1851, .36 caliber revolver

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Wipe after handling and keep in a dry atmosphere and you'll be just fine.

I even keep my ammo and gun stuff in a dry atmosphere. Under the stair case, door closed and a radiant heater controling the humidity.

For those of you that think you can detect "new" rust. It's like watching the grass grow. It happens so slowly that it can't be detected. Stare at the gun long enough you might find something that was there from the beginning and just now discovered. Just my .02

·
Registered
144 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Nice photo and nice revolver!!

Hey. You the same John Ward that used to do the UT games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean by "do" and which UT. I used to photograph University of Tampa soccer games for Soccer America magazine.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There is a John Ward who is retired now who was recently honored by the University of Tennessee (UT). Mr. Ward did the radio announcing for UT games. The reason I asked is I had heard that Mr. Ward had moved to FL.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll get me a silicone cloth and some good oil and wipe off my Colts after handling them. They are too much fun to put away. I keep my Colt Woodsman loaded under my bed to keep those unwanted critters away, (both two and four legged ones), so I handle that one much more than my two SAA's. No registration of guns here in Kentucky!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any other input? I have gotten really good suggestions. Thanks. My old Colts remain next to me within reach, oiled up, out in the open, and ready to go whenever they are called upon to do whatever needs to be done.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great article!! Thanks. Looks like CLP held up pretty well. My Colts stay dry all the time, so it probably will work even better.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmm so Corrosion-X (what I use) does work pretty well in this article too.

Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
I believe I bought mine either at Midway or Brownells. But you can go to their website to order it from them as well. I swear by the stuff but your mileage may vary.

Dave

Corrosion X

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.