Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy this revolver but am not aware of the value. I need some help looking for a ballpark range for this pistol. The Colt website says sn 317919 was made in 1929. I also wonder if it was factory engraved and also any info on the grips would be great!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have no proof one way or the other but would bet neither the grips nor the engraving are factory. The engraving doesn't look like any factory engraving I have seen. I do like the grips but would bet the guy who had it engraved had those fit at the same time.
If the price is right, I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

You might try calling the Colt Archives and see what they can tell you over the phone...or see if the seller will hold it and wait on a letter.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
That serial number is from 1910, not 1929. That will tell you the barrel has been replaced. No heavy barrels in 1910.
I think the price is high. The engraving doesn't look to be factory, and we know it doesn't have it's original barrel. I'm sure at one time it was somebody's pride and joy, but there's probably not much collector value.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Well, your gun was made in 1910 according to the serial number however the Heavy barrel did not come out until 1935 so it was a later install by someone. The engraving is aftermarket and done without having the gun re-finished. As far as value, such guns are always up to the eye of the buyer, if its something that you like then you will pay what you are comfortable with. Such guns are not always easy to sell as the seller must find another who feels like he did when he bought it.

Cam.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
That serial number is from 1910, not 1929. That will tell you the barrel has been replaced. No heavy barrels in 1910.
I think the price is high. The engraving doesn't look to be factory, and we know it doesn't have it's original barrel. I'm sure at one time it was somebody's pride and joy, but there's probably not much collector value.
The pony on the frame told me it was not 1928

·
Registered
532 Posts
Personally, I like the officers models. But given the condition of that one, unless you just really like the engraving, I think you can buy something a whole lot nicer for a lot less money. Note the rust in some of your pix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts