Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I've formulated an opinion. I'm a novice shooter, school bus driver, and professional local musician. But I hit the range twice a month, love shooting, and know I'm learning.
Here goes...
I've had my Umarex Colt M4 22lr for 4 months now. Every time I take it to the range I run about 1500 rounds through it. Sometimes 2000. Yup, I buy cheap ammo in bulk. Opinions about that too, but first the gun. IF YOU'VE GOT PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS WITH THIS GUN, READ THE MANUAL, AND ADJUST THE DAMN BOLT SPRING. "high velocity rounds" 1200fps or so, require about 10 tightening turns on the bolt spring. No more, or the sound of the cycling gets annoying and you'll probably hurt the gun.
This gun (some of you don't want to call it that, but yes, it's a gun) is FUN to shoot. It's accurate too. Now, no, it's not a real AR. Looks like one, feels like one, takes exterior AR rail parts and such, but it's a blowback 22. Cleaning this gun is A BITCH. The action is where it hurts. Getting in there is tough! First I coat a brass brush with #9 and scrub. Then to really get in there I use a toothbrush. Then I bust out the dental pics. I use #9, dental pics, q tips, and have recently switched gun oil for WD40, so far with no problems. But I use my guns often. If I were to use them less frequently, heavier oil would be on my grocery list.
This gun disassembles easily. You need a wrench, which comes with it. On mine, the pins just push out with good finger force. (not loose, not tight, just enough to require a solid poke to pop the bearing). I've heard that some are loose, some are tight. Mine's in the middle I guess.
So far, I've had more ammo misfires than ejecting\loading issues. So an average of 8 range visits, with a minimum 1500 rounds every visit, you do the math (musicians suck at math). Without a scope, keeping a 5" grouping of 100 rounds was kinda tough. The regular sight handle (for me, a guy with massive glasses) is fun for just about that range. So I got a scope! An NcStar MarkIII. I put it on a 1" picatinny riser to keep it sighted when I take it off. Works pretty good too. With the scope dialed in, (pulled a little right, and lowered all the way out of the box) POA is dead on at 25y, 2" high at 50, and again dead on at 100y. Consistent with 3 different bulk ammo's. I also found a picatinny lug mount for a bipod mount.
The reason I can count rounds is because I've got 15 10 round mags. I told all my buddies at work that I was getting a "colt" umarex m4 from big 5, and they got me a bunch of mags. I bought 4, they got the rest... (cause they want to shoot it, of course).
AMMO.
When it comes to ammo, I've run Blazer ,22LR, Winchester Super X, (the copper jacketed hollow points), and Remington 'golden bullet' 22 lr's that are brass plated hollow points. Now, after firing a lot of these 3 different types of bulk 22 ammo, I can say that simple works best. The Blazer ammo is a solid tapered lead round that (for me) has the tightest groupings over all. Production tolerances for this ammo must be high, cause it's the best performing cheap ammo I've shot so far. The Winchester Super X was ok. The Remington is the worst of the three; the projectile heads are loose in the casings. I also believe they are the dirtiest to fire of the 3. They are the worst to handle. Gold paint on your fingers?!?!? WTF?
Just to clarify, I've fired around 6000 rounds of each brand. For my cheap fun plunker, Blazer gets the "I'll buy this again soon in bulk" award. Now, for those of you good at math, you'll notice that the rounds fired don't match up with how much I've claimed to fire through the rifle. You guessed it, I've got a few other 22's (pistols, sorry) in my little box of fun. I shoot the crap out of em too. Love em!!!
All in all, I love this gun. It's so much fun to shoot it for 4-5 hours straight, I don't mind cleaning it for half an hour after to 45 min afterwards.
Hope you rimfire fans found this entertaining and perhaps slightly informative. Keep in mind, it's a 22. For all you zombie fanatics out there, use this type of gun if you can hit em in the eye, otherwise, get a SA or a nice shotgun or deer rifle.
For the fun part! Pics!!! Shot these this evening! IMG00363-20120525-1953.jpg IMG00361-20120525-1952.jpg IMG00360-20120525-1952.jpg

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks for the writeup on this. My buddy just bought one and brought it over my house to try out. You are right,it seems well made and it was a BLAST!! We certainly did not put 1500 rounds thru it that time but the rounds we did shoot sure were fun.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
I didn't know that any 22 LR would go that many rounds before misfires and malfunctions. 22 LR rimfire ammo is outside lubricated and very dirty with non plated ammo usually the worst. Sounds like you have it mastered with unique cleaning tools, cleaners and techniques. 22 misfires are not always the gun, often it is cheap ammo. Of course when any of my 22 firearms start to misfire often a dirty breech is the issue.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought that exact same model as an impulse purchase at a gunshow last summer, and I've had a blast with it. You read all kinds of horror stories about them online from people who have apparently never owned one - but everyone I've come across that actually has one loves it.

I put a Walther red-dot sight on it that I found on sale shortly afterwards, and it's a pretty darn accurate rifle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up another big 5 gun. The "century arms" Chinese made 12 gauge single action (rabbit ear triggered) coach gun. Once I get shooting it, I'll do a write up on it. Cleaning off the cosmoline wasn't tough, it was only lightly coated. Simple extra heavy duty mechanisms mean it'll hold up if you keep an eye on the screws. I can't wait to shoot it. Going to kick like a mule I expect. I picked up 50 rounds of 00, 250 of #8 shot, and 100 of #7. It cleaned up REAL NICE, has a tight closure, is a heavy gun, and I didn't have any positive or negative movement on the triggers. Some get guns that require a bit of sear work, but mine is 100% out of the box. Dry fireing these type of guns is bad for em I hear, so I didn't much... coachp.jpg IMG00364-20120527-1320.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hopps #9, q tips, dental pics, and WD40 are 'unique cleaning tools' huh? ok. :)
On the dirty breach: after around 1000 rounds the breach actually blows out a lot of the chunks. I know because I get em on my glasses (which are large). But it keeps on shooting. I'm trying an experiment. I've stopped cleaning the flash supresser. I want to see just how much crud will collect before the expanding gasses push it out. I just keep checking to make sure it's clear, should be interesting...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts