Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not wanting to thread jack the other thread, when were Coltwood plastic grips with silver medallion used (as shown on my New Service below)?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
Those appeared to be first used on WW2 rebuilt 1917 revolvers. The material appears to Bakelite instead of the postwar plastic coltwood. Maybe someone can reply I’d they have a civilian NS built in the 41-44 timeframe and what stocks it was supplied with.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Those appeared to be first used on WW2 rebuilt 1917 revolvers. The material appears to Bakelite instead of the postwar plastic coltwood. Maybe someone can reply I’d they have a civilian NS built in the 41-44 timeframe and what stocks it was supplied with.
Thanks. These came on a 1926 Serial numbered New Service (below), but I doubt they were original to the gun. I do have a letter pending.

·
Premium Member
20,535 Posts
I have several pairs of the same type of grip but for smaller frame Colts. I have been told that these grips were marketed as replacement grips. I do not know during what period of time that marketing occurred, but I would guess it was before the 1960's. Since they contain the Colt medallion, I suspect Colt had them made on contract or some company obtained a license from Colt to make and sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I have several pairs of the same type of grip but for smaller frame Colts. I have been told that these grips were marketed as replacement grips. I do not know during what period of time that marketing occurred, but I would guess it was before the 1960's. Since they contain the Colt medallion, I suspect Colt had them made on contract or some company obtained a license from Colt to make and sell them.
I'm pretty sure that you are correct about these being post-WW II aftermarket (whether Colt-authorized or not). I'd be very surprised if the 1926 gun lettered with plastic stocks. To my knowledge, Colt did not even start with any kind of brown plastic for grips until the early Coltrock grips for some 1911s in 1939/40 (mentioned in Clawson IIRC), and then the Commando grips 1942 to 1945. While these grips on the OP's gun look like the Commando pattern and coloring (different from later Coltwood; see the other thread), I highly doubt Colt itself would have wasted time on decorative medallions during the war even if they were making that size in plastic (which I'm not aware of, but what do I know ... :))

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
My 1917 which was converted to .45 Colt has these stocks on it. Whether Colt or not I don't know, but they seem to be well made, and the general consensus I've gathered is that they were a post WWII replacement.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
My speculation on these stocks has always been that Colt noted the large numbers of Models 1917 being sold cheap after World War II, and decided to offer these stocks as accessories so that the plain wood stocks on the surplus Models 1917 flooding the market could be "upgraded." Colt did not make plastic stocks in 1926.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts