Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per Dick's request I got someting maybe we can talk about. My latest find is a Combat Cobra. It's a 1 in 1000 model chambered in .357mag. Finished in a bright polished SS, 2" barrel, with some very nice combat stocks made of smooth walnut (?). At first I thought it maybe special King Cobra, but now I have seen a limited King Cobra on the net. My revolver was purchased from a kindly gent (a really great guy) who know has the limited King Cobra up for auction. By the pic listed on the site the 2 revolvers are similar except the King Cobra is a blued model. Could this Combat Cobra be a special edition of the Magnum Carry? It has found a new home and also was an unexpected edition to my collection of snakes as I didn't know it existed. Seems like snakes are crawling out from under rocks everywhere.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Majic

I have never seen one of what you are describing, but you know they did make a special limited addition for Lew Horton called a Combat Cobra, but that was 2 1/2" gun and you say yours is 2". They also say that the Lew Hortons had a CC prefix serial number and they would have had combat stocks. HMMMMMMM...Got any pictures? Dick

The Lew Hortons are not cheap.

St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland, maybe St. Majic could drive some of those snakes South to Florida!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-02-2003).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dick it is the Lew Horton special with the "CC" prefix. The barrel is actually 2.5", but the box label has 2" on it. Why the confusion I have no idea.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Lew Horton has offered a rather large number of custom pistols over the years, and one of their favorite bases was the Trooper Mark V and King Cobra.

One of the early models was the Horton Boa. Essentially a Trooper Mark V with a Python barrel and blue job.

The King Cobra was offered by Horton and Colt with barrels of 2 1/2", 3", 4", 6", and 8", in a wide variety of models.

With only 1000 offered, it should have collector interest right away.

To protect your investment, preserve the box and all papers, tags, and plastic bags, as well as the gun

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would love to get my hands on a BOA, I have only seen one a long time ago. I had a shot at buying that one, and didn't, and now the prices are meteoric if you can even find one. I used to know a guy who was trying to save one of each snake, Boa, Viper, etc., I don't know if he ever finished that endeavor. Me, I'll just stick to the Diamondbacks, that's expensive enough. Dick

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Dear Mr. Wheel,
Having recently discovered this forum and you, Sir, I'm having a WONDERFUL time! It's like, for me, as an amateur trombone player meeting Tommy Dorsey! Tell me, and inclination permit, if you will, about all these SNAKES I'm reading about!? I know about Pythons and Diamondbacks and Cobras ... NOW what!? The picture of that King Cobra has sucked me in. It looks like a Lawman with a red ramp and custom grips? Over? While I'm thirsting for knowledge, what can you tell me about two guns I've seen - ONCE, and longed for since ... A Colt Shooting Master and a Colt Marshall. Over? (If I ask to much, kick me and I'll go back to my corner and wait for a bone.) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
Lew Horton has offered a rather large number of custom pistols over the years, and one of their favorite bases was the Trooper Mark V and King Cobra.

One of the early models was the Horton Boa. Essentially a Trooper Mark V with a Python barrel and blue job.

The King Cobra was offered by Horton and Colt with barrels of 2 1/2", 3", 4", 6", and 8", in a wide variety of models.

With only 1000 offered, it should have collector interest right away.

To protect your investment, preserve the box and all papers, tags, and plastic bags, as well as the gun
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Ok, I'll try.

The Colt Shooting Master was a target version of the large-frame New Service.
It had a flat top frame and target sights. It was available in .357 Magnum.

This is a much sought after Colt and the last time I looked, one in excellent condition would run from $1500.00 to $2000.00. These seldom turn up these days, having been grabbed by collectors.

The Colt Marshall is a very rare post-war version of the Colt Official Police. It came with a 2" or 4" barrel and a grip frame that was rounded off similar to the early Detective Special. Colt only made it from 1954 to 1956, with only 2500 made.
These also are largely unobtainable due to heavy collector interest.

As for the King Cobra, it's a variation of the "J" frame Colt Trooper/Lawman series.
The KC is a very heavy-duty handgun, and makes both an excellent shooter, and a nice Colt to keep.

The standard KC was available in blue or stainless, with standard barrel lengths of
2 1/2", 4", and 6". These guns are still very available, and reasonably priced.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 09-19-2003).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts