Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My relatively new (less than one year old - maybe 300 rounds) Model O4012XSE has the wear on the barrel hood, barrel lug, and slide lug cut-out shown on the attached two photographs. Maybe this is normal, but not for my other Colt Model O pistols (hope I have my terminology correct :)). My pistol seems to present excessive wear - especially to the leading frame "lug cut-outs" or recesses. I am requesting forum advice - is this normal or do I need to contact Colt?Regards, Bill View attachment 40551 View attachment 40552

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
It's just the nature of the design and the way it locks and unlocks. Nothing to worry about.

This is a 1911A1 slide and from the exterior finish doesn't appear to have been fired excessively.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Hi Bill, Just a question...do you keep your pistols lubricated for use? I'm asking because I know a few gentlemen in my past who didn't believe that oil was needed on their pistols and ran them dry. Of course this lead to excessive wear on all the metal to metal surfaces,Their reasoning was they didn't want to get dirty?! I tried to explain that a firearm is a machine and requires lubrication to run correctly and minimize wear.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't think the wear is excessive. From the photos the pistol seems to have hardly been used. I agree with Mike in AZ RE lubrication. I'd recommend a quality grease meant for firearms, but in my opinion the choice of lubricant is less important than the regularity of maintenence.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input. I use Tetra Grease on the rails and FP10 on other surfaces. Looks like I am good to go. Regards, Bill

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Dittos Bill and El Bibliotecario.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts