Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone on a bright nickel rampage lately. So far I have added a 1975 Government, a 1981 Python with a 4 inch barrel, and a 1972 S&W model 19-3 snubbie (had to put mother of pearl grips for the total pimp look). Anyway, I think I need to add a Combat Commander. Are they rare? I haven't seen one at the gun shows (not in Dallas anyway). What should I pay for a 98% condition specimen? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I don't think the Combat Commander was ever offered in bright nickle. There was a Series' 70 Combat Commander in Satin Nickel (circa 1971 - 1980). The Series' 80 did come in stainless but I think it was Satin Stainless. Someone here will know for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Here's a Series' 70 in Satin Nickel.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
the reason you haven't seen one at the dallas gun shows is because colt never put them out. you won't see one at gun shows anywhere else either. colt produced nickel combat commanders in satin and electroless (through the custom shop) only.
any bright nickel ones that you might run into are refinished guns.

also, it could be the lighting, I always have a hard time looking at pics as opposed to holding it in my hand, but the pictured commander looks like a hard chrome finish to me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
not the best lighting but here is my satin nickel Colt. I always thought the satin looked somewhat "dirty" when compared to the electro nickel...the elctro to me looks closer to stainless....the satin nickel would never be mistaken as such Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
288 Posts
Beautiful pistol texagun. This thread is full of gorgeous Colt's. :D

How do you guys shop? Where do you find these gems?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Beautiful pistol texagun. This thread is full of gorgeous Colt's. :D

How do you guys shop? Where do you find these gems?
Gun shows, dealers, collectors. I've never bought a gun without holding it in my hand first and personally looking it over.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
There was a Lightweight Colt Commander in bright nickel. I bought this one new in 1980.
With the altered sights and non-original stocks, are you sure the pictured gun was not modified before you bought it? The matte texture on the frame and dust cover looks rougher than the usual Colt matte finish in the same areas. I will have to check my catalogs, but do not recall bright nickel being listed as a factory finish on the Commander or Combat Commander. I do not remember ever seeing a Commander in any finish other than blue, until the recent stainless slides on silver alloy frames versions.

Do you have the original box? If so, what does the end label show as the original finish?

Interesting gun!

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
817 Posts
With the altered sights and non-original stocks, are you sure the pictured gun was not modified before you bought it? The matte texture on the frame and dust cover looks rougher than the usual Colt matte finish in the same areas. I will have to check my catalogs, but do not recall bright nickel being listed as a factory finish on the Commander or Combat Commander. I do not remember ever seeing a Commander in any finish other than blue, until the recent stainless slides on silver alloy frames versions.

Do you have the original box? If so, what does the end label show as the original finish?

Interesting gun!
I'm pretty sure I know what I bought. I bought it new from a Colt dealer who was a friend of mine and who received it directly from the factory. Luckily I saved the box and all the paperwork that came with it. I had MMC put a set of their Combat Sights on it for my personal use. Their factory used to be about 3 miles from my home so I used their sights extensively and knew the guys who worked there. The grips were also added by me. I still have the original nickel sights and original grips in an envelope in the box so I can always return the gun to "stock" condition if I would ever want to. The original sights in nickel are quite small and are pretty useless for quick acquisition.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Thank you for that picture. That is a new one on me! You were very wise to save the original box. (I will have to research that model number.) Any chance your dealer can get me one? :D

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

1 - 16 of 16 Posts