Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this site was recommended to help answer my question...

I recently received this Colt Combat Commander .45 from my grandfather; After I looked around for info (including this site), I couldn't find one with a similar color scheme. Is this two seperate commanders mixed and matched? Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks

If you can't read it, the SN begins with 70SC

·
Registered
345 Posts
The serial number prefix (70SC......) would imply that it left the factory as a satin nickel
pistol, slide and frame. Clearly, the slide is blued so either the original slide was blued, or someone put a blued slide on it. The grips are also aftermarket. A pre 80 Series Combat Commander is a fine pistol. I think that because of the mods, your pistol would be considered a parts gun which would knock a bit off it's value. Because of the apparent changes you might want to have it checked out by a 1911 smith.

Could be that it was originally a two-tone, but I've not seen one which doesn't ,
mean anything. Someone who really knows will comment.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
fine gun and don't ever sell it

but if you do, give me first dibs :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I picked up a similar Combat Commander last year. It was in it's original box and new in appearance. The only difference was it has a blue spur hammer, a long blue trigger, and a blue Gov't style grip safety. I requested a letter from Colt's and found that it began life as a satin nickel 9mm that was originally sent to Pamida and then to Omaha midwest wholesale distributors, dba Fin Feather gun shop Omaha Ne. I can only assume there was a small distributor run as all attempts to contact the former owners of the shop have failed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Now THAT is both really strange and really interesting.
The nickeled frame makes its own sort of sense, tho'....you don't have to handle the blued slide except for racking it, while the frame is held all the time.
For the OP, keep us posted if you find something definitive about your particular gun.
Moon

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1972 commander ----- slide says combat commander---it has been changed out.
look at the other posting on colt's serial #'s. it comes up as a Commander only built in '72'

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Both the slide and frame are Combat Commander parts. If the frame was from a Commander the S/N would start CLW and the frame would be alloy. Combat Commanders are all steel and Commanders are alloy frame with steel slide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts