Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m considering a purchase of this Colt but have a couple questions regarding modifications.

Its in very good condition but someone installed a stainless beaver tail grip safety that doesn’t match the nickel finish and doesn’t match the contours of the frame very well either.. How can I get a standard grip safety or a fitted beaver tail grip safety in a brushed nickel finish?

Any help or direction would really be appreciated. I’d like to add this one to my small, Colt stable.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
You can check various parts suppliers but I bet it is going to be tough to find a grip safety in that finish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can check various parts suppliers but I bet it is going to be tough to find a grip safety in that finish.
Yep that’s what I’m afraid of. I’m reasearching for a local company metal plating company. Any thought s suggestions?

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Hey guys, I’m considering a purchase of this Colt but have a couple questions regarding modifications.

Its in very good condition but someone installed a stainless beaver tail grip safety that doesn’t match the nickel finish and doesn’t match the contours of the frame very well either.. How can I get a standard grip safety or a fitted beaver tail grip safety in a brushed nickel finish?

Any help or direction would really be appreciated. I’d like to add this one to my small, Colt stable.

Thanks in advance!
I'd search eBay for the correct grip safety. It may take some patience but I'm sure they get listed on occasion.
Also check GunBroker 1911 Parts.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A take off is going to be the best option. I had one and some other parts from a SC serial number satin nickle Combat Commander but someone in your shoes got them. One will come around eventually. Many do rebuids on those pistols with new sights, new frame mod style (no gap) grip safeties, other new parts and new finish for carry. If you find a shop which can match the finish I am sure others here in your shoes would be interested in the contact information.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought one on eBay thanks to kenhwind...For $30, I’ll risk the potential fitting issue.

Thanks ALL for you help!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Be aware that a Combat takes a different grip safety than the Government Model. As the Commander has a round hammer and there is a cut on the grip safety for it to clear.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Be aware that a Combat takes a different grip safety than the Government Model. As the Commander has a round hammer and there is a cut on the grip safety for it to clear.
Not on the OP's, his would take the short tang grip safety as used on the Commander & Combat Commanders until Colt introduced the one you're referring to with the Officer's ACP.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Rick to me its all a matter of grip. I've never been bitten by any semi-auto pistol I've ever shot - including all manner of 1911.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Two fine looking Combat Commanders blueiron. Ya got everything you need and nothin ya don't.
I see most of the earlier blue ones come with full checker grips and gold meds....You change yours ?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Two fine looking Combat Commanders blueiron. Ya got everything you need and nothin ya don't.
I see most of the earlier blue ones come with full checker grips and gold meds....You change yours ?
Mid-70s they came with the bead-blasted walnut stocks.

Reactions: ei8ht and ponyup

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for your comments! Here's the one in question. I'd like to make it "stock" again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the grip safety I bought...short spur series 70 in Nickel....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a 1970s era Combat Commander in satin nickel finish. No beavertail grip safety.
Blue iron, I noticed your Nickel CC has Nickel sights also. Did all come that way? Mine has blued sights.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts