Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Combat Commander(Series 80, \"Stainless\")reliability & Quality?

Colt, Combat Commander(Series- 80,"Stainless")made in 1984, questions as follows:

1)Were these still made with fairly good quality and fitment-and, were these still reliable?

2)Since this would be my very first centerfire autoloader, would the Series 80(Stainless)Combat Commander, be OK in .45 ACP caliber-or, would the "Kick" be too unpleasant, for a beginner, like me?

3)I know about the firing pin safety-but, I'm not a professional target shooter-so, I'm not going to be concerned with trying to obtain a 4lbs or less trigger pull! So, my assumption is that I don't think that(Compared to a Series 70, Combat Commander)that I would notice the slightly extra drag, caused from the additional safety device on the Series 80, Combat Commander? My concern, is for the gun to be safe and to be a good gun and for it to be reliable? Otherwise, are these guns any good? Or was the Colt's quality on these much more "Inferior" to the Series 70, Combat Commander-or?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Combat Commander(Series 80, \"Stainless\")reliability & Quality?

Just like any manufacturer nowadays, quality will vary pistol to pistol. Check the individual piece for fit and finish.

The FPS doesn't make any noticable difference in pull. At least to me.

If it's a steel frame Combat Commander, recoil ain't bad at all. The Lightweight Commander is a little less manageable.

Good luck.

Brian

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I sure would like to get some more input regarding my thread here?

I'm really interested in knowing, just how much recoil an all-steel, Colt Combat Commander(.45ACP)woild have, compared directly with say an M686(4" barrel).357 magnum revolver-and, directly with a typical 9MM autoloader? I have never experienced what it might be like to shoot these various calibers and, I'd like to hear from you "experienced" shooter's, to give me your impression's of the differences in the "Recoil" felt?

Also, about how reliable the Series 80 Colt autoloaders have been(And, if you guys have liked this Series(Or, if not, why not?)? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 07-08-2005).]

·
Registered
806 Posts

Colt38, what you ask for is and can be very "subjective". We all have our likes and dislikes and this will influence not only what we buy or own ,then again, what we have shot over the years.
I been doing this for over 40 years ,shot all forms of competition,both locally and nationally and have worked on, built, tested and fired all, or MOST all that were ever made. Yes, I have my own favorites and likes and dislikes.I like .22's, .38's and .45's. Shot "smaller" and MUCH bigger! (like 45-70 in a handgun!)
.410 shotshells in a 'derringer'!

Not a fan or even care for the 9mm.,357 mag or the "big bores". Seen cases of ALL, in what works and what "fails".Volumes have been written on this and they all have the "fans & criticques". Like politics, I will stay out of it, just give my .02 cents
and go my merry way.
YOU ,have to try and shoot examples of each, find out what is comfortable to YOU and what you can best hit the target with , on a consistant basis.
Yes, many points are "constant"(like weight, 'LW' vs. all steel, but small bullets or "magnums", there are your 'variables'. For carry and performance, the 'LW' Commanders are just fine, the steel Combat Commander, to ME, feels better. Stainless? it will be heavier, but there are guns with stainless "uppers" using aluminum alloy grip frames. A compromise.
70 series vs 80? You said it yourself, you like the "safety issue". I have to agree. BUT , from a gunsmith perspective and having worked on them, there are MORE parts and a bit harder to get "light trigger" pulls. Cost more to do and the average shooter would NEVER realize or even know the difference. Some gunsmiths don't like them and most it don't matter.
The buyers hear or read a "story" ( one mans perspective) and form an 'opinion' based on this. NOT good, find out for yourself, they are selling books and trigger jobs. Every little accessory or gimmick that's out there or needs to be done to make it "work". "BS", I have a Colt National Match Gold Cup, out of the box made in the 60's, shoots 'clover leaf' groups (slightly larger than ONE hole!) Nothing has ever been done to this gun except put a Wilson 'shock buff' washer on the recoil spring guide. For comparison, we recently shot and with another shooter, who is still shooting and is VERY good,we took out a new 'stainless' steel Series 80 Government Model, and it too shot them ALL in the black of the bullseye(B-3 NRA target at 50 foot ,indoors)One cannot ask for more than that. I've been 'retired' for some time and do NOT get out and shoot like we did. BUT ,we shot it and I was "impressed". Handled well, feed and function was 'excellent'. So I would have to compare that pretty much to what the gun your talking about , the 'stainless' Commander. Only the barrel is a bit shorter and slightly less in weight.
So I can only tell you ,to take and try this gun, try different types of ammo. Take it outdoors and indoors, decide for yourself. Comparing it to a .357 or a 9mm is comparing 'apples & oranges'. ONLY if you can use the same gun, with each of the above 'ammos' can you make a value judgement. THEN, how accurate is it and THEN, how effective is the 'stopping power'. I hope you never have to find that one out!

Sorry to ramble on, but this is ONLY the "tip of the iceburg", because THEN, you have ammo choices, ballistics, reloading, and this goes on and on, with all of us again,having our OWN 'favorites'!

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
150 Posts

Colt38-Sounds like you have a couple of concerns: fit, finish, trigger pull, and reliability of the 80 stainless in comparision with the 70 series pistols, and how much does that d*** commander kick? I currently have and shoot three Colt .45's: stainless combat commander xse, original 70 series and a current 70 series (both 70's are blue). The xse IS a steel commander so recoil is less than the aluminum frame, but if you're inexperienced with .45 acp recoil, there's nothing to do but experience it until you're used to it. Recoil feels about the same as with the full size 70's. The best trigger out of the box was the repro. 70, followed by the original 70. Xse trigger was heavy (6+ lbs.) which I had lightened by a gunsmith friend-it's now the same as the 70's. Fit and finish on the xse is exemplary; not one flaw. Reliability through 750+ rounds of hardball has been trouble free; same with both 70's. No failures of any kind with any of the three. I like the xse enough so it's now my carry gun. I can holster it without worrying about blue wear or scratches(they buff right out with Flitz). The 80 series safety is a non-issue with me-with the xse I don't even know it's there. If you're used to 9mm's, the .45 will feel like it slaps you harder, but the more you shoot, the more enjoyable it becomes. Good luck-Asa

·
Registered
535 Posts

FWW, Colt38,
Comfortable shooting requires a .22 or .38 special - I think. For many years, that's what the serious American target shooters used. The .45 auto's I've used were all GI match guns with GI ammo and were very similar to shooing 357's. I used an S&W #39 a bit, which is 9mm and light frame and was surprised at the whip and boom from it - lighter caliber and lighter pistol. Lots of people have mastered the .45 but I think the practice required would require a steel gun. (Probably the heavier the better!)

·
Registered
16 Posts

In my personal opinion, I find the .45 auto very pleasant to shoot. I carried and shot them in the military (showing my age now) and currently have a Government Model and a Electroless Nickel Combat Commander. I think they have a softer recoil than the .357 or larger magnums and are very easy to use in rapid fire. They are not nearly as loud as the magnums either.

------------------
Ron
NRA Life Member

1 - 7 of 7 Posts