Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't think there is enough info in the OP to judge what the problem is. Did he disassemble it without releasing the recoil spring plug, etc, before pulling out the slide stop? I've seen that done before. If the stop is tight shooting a few boxes of ammo will certainly burnish the surfaces and make it easier to reassemble. Assuming that the proper disassembly and reassembly sequence is followed.

Typically the little spring plunger that acts against the slide stop can be a bugger. I wouldn't start trimming on anything until I knew it was wrong, though.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
I would be wiling to bet that its the detent, not the stop. This should be tight when new and works it's way out over time every time you shoot, and take the pistol apart. I've never had a new 1911 that the slide stop just popped out without effort. This is usually the time when "most" people put an "idiot scratch" on it. Time and shooting/cleaning takes care of it. I guess I could have just said take apart, put together over and over but shooting is much more fun.
That's what I was aiming at too, the detent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.