Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Combat Commander, .45 ACP with a satin nickel finish. Serial # 70SC 39XX. It is like new in the box except for the dreaded "idiot scratch". Box numbered to the gun but no paperwork or tools. I have been trying to find a reasonable price so I can sell it but so far the range is from $800. for a beater to $3,300. for the 9mm version. I know it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but I'm looking for a starting point for negotiations. Any help is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome to the forum, greer. How about some photos, trying to value anything without photos is an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The nickel finish Combat Commander in .45 is a pretty common model for that era of production. Since the frame is scratched, it can't be considered "like new" and that drops the value. Although the box is present, no papers also brings down the value. It isn't in collectible condition for a serious collector.

It is worth ~ $800 to < $1,000.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I bought one new in 78. Cute as a kitten in the display case but I quickly found that the Satin Nickle showed wear quickly, like carry the pistol in a leather holster and take it to the pistol range quickly. Also the small Silver sights were hard to see and back in 78 at least where I lived, none of the local gun smiths would touch them. They said send it back to Colt and have them put on better sights. I traded mine in on a little Detonics back in 84.

I guess what I am thinking is if you decide to carry and use the pistol then the Satin Nickle will not be as pretty in not too long a time and if you are buying for an investment then the idiot scratch will be an issue. I don't think I would even want one myself and I like Commanders. For shooters good values in pre 80 Series pistols are found in ones made in the early 80s. Below is an 82 on top I traded into and had $400 2002 dollars in the gun I traded it for and the 1980 pistol on the bottom I found in a LGS in 2015 for $650.

The Satin Nickle Commanders I have seen in LGSs down here in the SW usually have scuff or wear marks and usually have had the sights changed and have been in the $600-800 range in the last several years, but as I mentioned I have not been interested enough in them to look at any closely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts