Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One Colt owner since 2011, and now looking to expand the fleet. I'm looking for a range shooter, with some CCW.

Never seen in person a CE or a Competition model but it seems from the catalog that they have similar features and close enough prices, appearances aside.

Can you all give me some advice about the differences and your recommendations for which one to go for...they both seem so fantastic its hard to tell!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
They are both great guns but here is my personal take.
IMHO. I would buy the Competition Model. Unless you are just set on getting a two tone pistol.
The Competition Model is cheaper and has the '70 Series firing system which is simpler, makes for a better out of the box trigger and is easier to field strip.
The Competition Model also comes with a dual recoil spring with a normal length guide rod which is also easier to take down.
The Competition Model comes in 3 calibers including the (cheap to shoot) 9mm Luger.
The Combat Elite is made in 45 ACP only.
The Combat Elite has the silly extended guide rod which serves no practical purpose.

P.S. - Have you looked at the Gold Cup Trophy? Also a newer Colt gun with '70 Series ignition.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Gold Cup Trophy is a good idea. The Bomar clone adjustable is more to my liking than the Novak of the Competition Model.

I had a Combat Elite. The first things I did were replace the guide rod and spring plug with GI parts, replace the two dot Novak rear with a black one and rebuild/convert the 8 round mags to 7 rounds with Tripp Super 7 kits.

A Competition Model may be more expensive to change to my taste. I would sub for the adjustable Novak rear with a fixed, the front fiber optic with another option, sub out the two recoil springs with the smaller diameter guide rod for a single spring with conventional spring and GI guide rod. I would ditch the grips and rebuid the magazines.

If you like the feature set of both as they come from box; the Competition is the better deal. The ignition set difference does not dissuade me but I do prefer GI cocking serrations. Other than those differences, the pistol foundation is the same.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They are both very good guns for the money. If you get one that shoots good ....... Bonus. I've read tests on both guns, don't know if they are special test guns or not. A combat elite that shot under 2 inch. 5 shot group 25 yards. Both guns have match barrels. Don't think they are (fitted) match barrels. So I'd pick the one that I like the features better. But, if it's the competion model I for sure would buy a series 70 model, unless you found a really well fitted series 80 gun. That personally doesn't matter much to me. But I've seen some current new 70 competition model that had very nice stock light triggers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the stainless Competition Series .45 ACP (series 80) and I'm very happy with it. The trigger pull on mine is 4 1/2 lbs. right out of the box measured with a Lyman Digital pull scale.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good feedback guys...sounds like the Combat Elite isn't what I'm looking for after all. Hadn't considered a Gold Cup either...

Colt has come out with such a good line up for a competitive price in 2017...the choices are too hard to narrow down! I want to support Colt Mfg this year because it seems like this is the first year in quite a while that they have come out swinging hard to meet what Colt supporters have been asking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts