Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Colt Letter. Looks like my Combat Python did not ship to Lew Horton. I have read that Lew Horton only took delivery of 300 guns. If so it seems that Colt may have sold the others to other distributors. If this is true then it would seem that there may be 500 Combat Pythons floating around out there after all. This might explain why my serial number is later than the ones typically seen. Opinions anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have a pile of them but when they have the original box I don't waste $$$ on a letter I rely on the box to tell me if it's legit or not. Now you got me wondering if I own any "Non Lews"

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a pile of them but when they have the original box I don't waste $$$ on a letter I rely on the box to tell me if it's legit or not. Now you got me wondering if I own any "Non Lews"
Are any of yours in the later serial number range? If I recall most of the Lew Horton ones I have seen were serial #T73XXX or T74XXX. Mine is T77458

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Just got my Colt Letter. Looks like my Combat Python did not ship to Lew Horton. I have read that Lew Horton only took delivery of 300 guns. If so it seems that Colt may have sold the others to other distributors. If this is true then it would seem that there may be 500 Combat Pythons floating around out there after all. This might explain why my serial number is later than the ones typically seen. Opinions anyone?
Maybe only means 300 + 4 Combats, unless others turn up.
Is that distributor still in business, to inquire?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The top of your letter states that there are 500 combat Pythons. So that would mean that 300 went to Lew Horton and I would imagine the other 200 went to individual requestors. Like the 4 in your particular batch.

Hey, that actually means yours is more rare than the LH ones are.:confused:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The top of your letter states that there are 500 combat Pythons. So that would mean that 300 went to Lew Horton and I would imagine the other 200 went to individual requestors. Like the 4 in your particular batch.Hey, that actually means yours is more rare than the LH ones are.:confused:
So far it's the only non-Lew Horton Combat that I have heard about. Golden State is out of business much like many other distributors in California.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"500" reported by Colt , only 300 taken by L.H. 4 more, Kali distributor. More completed C.P.'s out there, or 196 loose C.P. barrels?
The mystery of the Combat Python continues. So that there is no confusion as we unravel the mystery, I propose from this point on this Combat Python should be referred to as the "Golden State Combat Python" or GSCP for short. Let's see if it catches on :) I know that many of you would prefer to call it the "Kali Combat Python" or KCP but I think it will be confused with the real "California Combat Python" so I just don't think that will work

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I bought a brand new S&W Model 24-3 (.44 Special) that was sold to me by a gun distributor who claimed it to be a Lew Horton Special. Years later I spoke with S&W historian Roy Jinks and gave him the serial number, ALA2432. Lew Horton ordered 5000 of them and S&W made them. LH did not sell them all and Smith was left with quite a few that they sold to other distributors, mine being one of them. Mr. Jinks was at a loss to determine why my serial number should have been in a lot that did not end up at Horton's.

These are the little mysteries that make collecting so much fun. And phenomenal places like the Colt Forum, where the mystique of collecting and gathering truth, yields such pleasure!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I purchased a 24-3, LNIB from a Smith collector a few years ago. Gun was stated to have only been factory fired. I never fired it, it has sat in the safe since I got it. I did not know that Horton did some of these. That is why I love this forum, I learn something new all the time. Thank you.Blade.
I bought a brand new S&W Model 24-3 (.44 Special) that was sold to me by a gun distributor who claimed it to be a Lew Horton Special. Years later I spoke with S&W historian Roy Jinks and gave him the serial number, ALA2432. Lew Horton ordered 5000 of them and S&W made them. LH did not sell them all and Smith was left with quite a few that they sold to other distributors, mine being one of them. Mr. Jinks was at a loss to determine why my serial number should have been in a lot that did not end up at Horton's. These are the little mysteries that make collecting so much fun. And phenomenal places like the Colt Forum, where the mystique of collecting and gathering truth, yields such pleasure!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You should be happy enough that you even own a combat python. If you're that disappointed about the news I'll take it off of ya :). But no seriously that's a really nice Python hope that one day I can own one. Beginner collector here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.