Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very seldom post on this portion of the Colt Forum and usually am in the SAA Forum. I do have a Colt Walker 3rd Gen which I bought new but rarely shoot. I’ve never seen this specifically addressed anywhere but when the Army ordered the first thousand along with each pistol there was a combination tool which had a screwdriver on one end and if memory serves, a nipple wrench on the other. The body had a triple right angle bend that I once read was for main spring installation. I have a replica tool and I’ve always assumed that the “U” was used to compress the main spring but I don’t really know that. Most of you here know more than I do so exactly how was it employed?

·
Registered
992 Posts
That's what I heard as well but I don't remember where I heard it. I do have a replica Walker and a replica tool and that's how I use it. When disassembling, before you remove the triggerguard you cock the hammer, which depresses the V-Spring, then slide the tool on and it will keep the V-spring down, thus making it easier to reassemble.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Having to use that tool to compress the V-type mainspring on both the Walker and the Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon/Transitional Walker (early part of production) is why the rest of the Dragoon production used the "flat" mainspring like the 1848/49/51/60/62 revolvers.

Regards,

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts