Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your guys opinion on which commander is the better choice. I own two XSE ones already a SS and the LW. But really want to pick up the 1991 one now ...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Some differences on the XSE:HammerTriggerGrip safetySightsEnhanced tolerancesForward cocking serrationsHigh-cut front strapRollmark/slide markingsThe 1991 being the plain sister. A good basic 1911 or base gun for customizing. The XSE is decent with the extras Colt puts on it from the factory if you don't plan on doing any further customizing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanting a more a classic look mainly.....

Actually was considering trading my LW for the 1991 and would add some upgrades later. But I guess I better just keep what I have.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just wanting a more a classic look mainly.....
Gotcha...I would probably look for an early Series 70 or 80, if you don't mind a used pistol. I recently acquired a S80 CC that I did some restoration and it's a fantastic little shooter now. I didn't expect to have to change the MSH, so it temporarily has a magwell MSH, but it will change back to a regular MSH soon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks! You can still find a lot nicer ones than the way mine came for a reasonable price. Mine was definitely rode hard and put up wet. Had a nice idiot gouge, lots of rust under the wraparound grips, and cracked MSH.

...she's a keeper now:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I did the switch. In 2006 I bought an XSE LW Commander and of course bought a nice new set of grips for it from Esmeralda.

While I was shooting for reliability etc. I discovered the front serrations are not friendly to some holsters, the FLGR makes it a lot harder to field strip, the ambi thumb safety gets flipped off in some holsters, and the hex grip screws would have to be replaced. My fault was putting nice, smooth grips on it. They show scratches very easily. Also nice silver guns are pretty, but noticeable.

In 2007 I bought a plane jane blue Commander where the only change I made was to flip out the nice wood double diamond grips that came on it with some in hard rubber. Still carry it today and kept the XSE for a range toy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
One can't have too many Colts. The 1991 is the classic Colt configuration. If you can find an ORM (Old Roll Mark) 1991 that has been parkerized (1991 introduction), they have held up very well over the years. The NRM 1991s are sweet too. It's all in what you like.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grips looks great on the XSE and that's my thing I wanted to get the 1991 and do some up grades. And have a nice classic style.

Also the one looks fantastic. Yes we can't have to many

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.