Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the 9mm commander a few weeks ago and I finally found time to take her to the range the other day. She shot beautifully. My buddy who only owns an XD said it had less recoil than his 9mm. I would have to agree shes a flat shooter with no recoil and dead on target. I usually shoot my p226 in the hot 357sig so the minimal recoil was super easy to control. 250 rounds down range went flawlessly. I instantly fell in love with gun. trigger was smooth and the reset was crisp. All that i imagined a colt 1911 would be. Im not gonna change a single thing to this beautiful gun except the stocks, and im gonna make it my new carry after i find what defensive round works best. i did notice my gold dots and federals didnt feed properly.

If anyone carry's a commander in 9mm please let me know what defensive round you are running.

first round out of the gun was that flyer on the 8/9 line the rest were on par. the first round was my fault. but that target is at 10yards i was a little off for the first few rounds because i was adjusting to the sights. (im used to the night sights on my sig) and the front sing on this commander is very low profile but once i got it in the x the next rounds followed up tightly. let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
You will likely have to stick with FMJ ammo or defensive ammo that mimics that same bullet shape (not sure if Federal still makes their "EFMJ" stuff or something like Cor-Bon PowerBall). 9mm 1911's can also sometimes be temperamental regardless; if you have any further reliability issues post back and I'll try to help.

Funnel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will likely have to stick with FMJ ammo or defensive ammo that mimics that same bullet shape (not sure if Federal still makes their "EFMJ" stuff or something like Cor-Bon PowerBall). 9mm 1911's can also sometimes be temperamental regardless; if you have any further reliability issues post back and I'll try to help.

Funnel
Thank you, i will definitely check that out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the 9mm 1911's. Yours looks to be in great shape. I hope to have a commander in the near future.
thank you, took a lot of hunting to find that 1911 in 9mm in good shape without paying out the ass for it, but i got one.
i too fell in love with the 9mm commander. flat shooting and crisp trigger. doesnt get better than that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been carrying a 9mm LW Commander for almost 40 years. My carry load is the Federal Nyclad 124 grain hollow point, because it is the only hollow point I have found that doesn't gouge the soft feed ramp. That load has been out of production for many years now, and I carefully hoard my remaining supply.

For personal defense, there's not a thing wrong with the Winchester Silvertip (except the price!). Otherwise, just find a 115 or 124 grain JHP that your gun happens to like and ALWAYS works with. With any 9mm load, where you hit is much more important than what bullet you hit with.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've a SIG P239 9mm that'll eat anything and was thinking of the Commander in 9mm but opted for the LW Commander in .45 as I didn't really need to duplicate 9mm carry weapons. I think your shooting is just fine, especially new handgun, new sights and all. If you have a variety of 9mm run a mag of each through to narrow down your choices for accuracy. Stopping power on 9mm is all about putting the rounds where you need them to be, consistently. Like your pistol, very nice :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
In the photo, it sure looks like a GM length barrel, although I'm reading CC on the slide. That's what happens when you get old! Good looking gun. I HAD one, along with too many other HADS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very nice! This is currently my 'holy grail/must have' firearm. I have seen other 1911 brands in 9mm in my area but I really 'must have' a commander sized Colt in 9mm!

Someday :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been carrying a 9mm LW Commander for almost 40 years. My carry load is the Federal Nyclad 124 grain hollow point, because it is the only hollow point I have found that doesn't gouge the soft feed ramp. That load has been out of production for many years now, and I carefully hoard my remaining supply.For personal defense, there's not a thing wrong with the Winchester Silvertip (except the price!). Otherwise, just find a 115 or 124 grain JHP that your gun happens to like and ALWAYS works with. With any 9mm load, where you hit is much more important than what bullet you hit with.
Thank you! Someone else also recommended the silvertip ill give that a shot. I'm pretty good at shot placement. I just haven't found that s/d round that works 100% yet so I haven't started to carry it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've a SIG P239 9mm that'll eat anything and was thinking of the Commander in 9mm but opted for the LW Commander in .45 as I didn't really need to duplicate 9mm carry weapons. I think your shooting is just fine, especially new handgun, new sights and all. If you have a variety of 9mm run a mag of each through to narrow down your choices for accuracy. Stopping power on 9mm is all about putting the rounds where you need them to be, consistently. Like your pistol, very nice :)
Thank you! I love her. Took a few years to find one in a good condition for a decent price. I too own a sig and she eats anything. I've documented over 7k rounds and not a single malfunction. Even during a supposed break in period. My 226 is one ill never get rid of. Sig is spot on when they say to hell and back reliability. But back to the colt. I choose it for concealment cause trying to conceal a 226 is pretty hard when you're a small guy. And I'm not a fan of compacts or subs or pocket pistols. So the cc in 9mm made the most sense. I must say I'm well impressed with its ability to conceal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the photo, it sure looks like a GM length barrel, although I'm reading CC on the slide. That's what happens when you get old! Good looking gun. I HAD one, along with too many other HADS.
Thank you! Chief. And it's the angle of the photo. It's just goofy looking but it's a cc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice! This is currently my 'holy grail/must have' firearm. I have seen other 1911 brands in 9mm in my area but I really 'must have' a commander sized Colt in 9mm!Someday :)
Ya I know what you mean. They can be quite pricey. But it's worth it the first time you shoot it. I'm truly impressed with this over 30 year old gun. Absolutely worth every penny. I hope one day you too can enjoy one. Good luck on the hunt brother!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My LW Commander also likes the Magtech 124 grain Jacketed Soft Point. It has a round nose profile and so should feed easily in even a finicky feeding gun. It is not a +P round. May not expand as dramatically as a hollow point in short barrels, but I would have no problem using it as a carry load in a gun that won't reliably feed hollow points.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My LW Commander also likes the Magtech 124 grain Jacketed Soft Point. It has a round nose profile and so should feed easily in even a finicky feeding gun. It is not a +P round. May not expand as dramatically as a hollow point in short barrels, but I would have no problem using it as a carry load in a gun that won't reliably feed hollow points.
thank you, I will try those out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts