Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one I just put the finishing touches on today. It's an OWB with a 23 degree forward rake for a Commander. I had a sample bottle of dye called "Brandy" and decided that instead of making a color swatch out of a chunk of leather, that I would make a holster instead. I like the color, but I already have a dark brown that I've standardized on (which is called Spice,) so it will likely be the only Brandy colored holster I make.

Paul

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure Mblhopo. If anything would work properly, it would be a permanent leather dye like Angelus, or Fiebing's. You're probably not going to find Angelus available locally, but you should be able to get Fiebing's if you have a local Tandy. Here's the link to the leather dye page on Angelus' website: Angelus Shoe Polish - Angelus Leather Dye
Most holster's are going to have a finish of some kind on them. In order to have the dye penetrate, this finish would have to be removed first. I've never tried that, but just did a quick search on my leather working forum. If it's one of the acrylic finishes, it sounds like you won't be able to get the finish completely off, and the dye would not penetrate evenly, leaving a blotchy dye job. Of course you would then need to put finish back on as well. What kind of holster is it? Brand?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
antq_colt_fan,

Yeah I post on Leatherworker.net, same name. Are you on there?

buster1652,

Yes I make these for people. Sometimes I make something that nobody ordered just because I want to. Maybe a color combo I've wanted to make, or I have a dummy gun that needs a stitching pattern, so I'll make a holster for it (just did that for a Springfield EMP. Probably put the finish on tomorrow.) I wanted to try this bottle of dye out, so decided to make a Commander holster. I don't even own a Commander :-(

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.