Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquires a blued commander in box with papers. Problem is that the blue is freckled on the left side in a couple places. Does colt still refinish guns? It has been fired exactly 18 times as I got it RFLP orig owner and he gave me the rest of the box of rounds. Opinions? Should I just shoot it and carry it or have it redone?First post here. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Welcome to phase one of the addiction. Carry it, shoot it and enjoy it. It does not matter how many times it has been shot once it is refinished it's value plummets. I would address the rust, stop it from spreading and enjoy it. You have a great pistol in a great caliber!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Based on the picture that is not a pre 70's commander. it looks parkerized, not blued,which it should be and the slide is too long to be a commander. And those sure look like pits not flakes. Also the trigger looks smooth it should be serrated. is this supposed to be some kind of gotcha deal?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I do not think anyone said it wasn't worth doing as that is a call only you can make. You are not going to increase the value by having it done, but if the character marks bother you then by all means do it. The big plus about the condition it is in now is that you do not have to worry about carry scuffs and scratches. These things function just as well with beauty marks as they do without them, with the benefit of actually being used for their intended purposes

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I completely agree with Rob and Colt75. I have its 1951 brother and it gets carried now. It was carried before me and shows some use, but it was handled with care. Enjoy in good health. It is a great pistol in a cool caliber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know what you mean about using with clear cosience. I have my fathers national match he bought new in 61 and carried for 20 yrs I carried for ten and shot tens of thousands of rounds through it. The slide flats are worn brighe and wouldn't change it for the world and she still shoots like a death ray in my hands. I grey up shooting it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.