Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
The sandblasted WALNUT stocks were standard from about 1970 to 1972 or so on every Model O, except the Gold Cup, which used checkered walnut stocks. (I would have to check my catalog collection to be more definite on the time period of use.)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I thought they changed around the mid 70s from my memory of seeing them in gunstores, although maybe the pistols with the sand blasted ones had been in the distribution channel for some time. Then they thankfully went to ones like are on the pre 80 Series Commander made in 1981 on the bottom in the picture below. The Commander on the top is a 2007 and came with double diamond checkered grips which I replaced with the hard rubber grips as it is my carry gun and grips take a hit on a carry gun.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
I think that the sandblasted walnut stocks were used until the later 1970s. My 1975 Colt Series 70S .38 Super had those stocks, but IIRC it wasn't long after that, that all of the pistols started appearing with the checkered walnut/gold medallion style.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Herrett's makes some pretty nice grips, I like their full checkered Coco Bolo wood.

I am pretty sure that the ones on my Commander right now (with the gold medallions are also made by them.

My Gov't Model in my previous post is now wearing a pair of take-off Gold Cup wrap-arounds.

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
I think that the sandblasted walnut stocks were used until the later 1970s. My 1975 Colt Series 70S .38 Super had those stocks, but IIRC it wasn't long after that, that all of the pistols started appearing with the checkered walnut/gold medallion style.
You are correct. When I posted my initial response, I qualified it by saying that I would have to check my catalog collection to verify the actual period of usage. I have since checked my catalog collection and find that the sandblasted stocks were last cataloged in 1976. The 1977 catalog shows all Model O pistols with checkered stocks.

As I stated initially, the Gold Cup always had checkered walnut stocks. Since Gold Cups have always been the focus of my interest in the "new" Model O pistols, I did not pay sufficient attention to the type of stocks used on "common" Model O pistols during that time frame.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.