Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a Colt Blue Commander Mark IV Series 80 a friend wants to trade me his Mark IV Series 80 Stainless Steel Officers Model ...

To trade or not to trade?

Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
This is a question only you can answer, since it's totally a matter of what you like.

The stainless Officer's Model is "probably" a more valuable gun, but that depends on actual condition, and on whether either gun has been modified.
In the end it comes down to which gun you like the most. That one only you can answer.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
As dfariswheel so aptly reminds us, the condition between the two is the most critical point that can be made. However, apples to apples, it comes down to what you are looking for. An Officer's ACP may be a better carry gun for some since it has the shorter length. The Commander may be more your style as a shooter. Look at both and decide which one turns you on the most!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hear an echo...

For a general purpose, "one size do all" type gun, I prefer a 4" - but that's me and my needs, what your's are... are yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've decided not to trade, I really like my commander. After looking at the officers model more closely and field stripping it I decided that I didn't care for the take down procedure with the belled barrel and the guide rod system.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The best of both worlds,IMO,is the Officers Mod.receiver with the Commander top end. i.e. Colts Concealed Carry Officers. I've never been able to snag one at a reasonable price so, I've made my own with used Commander top ends. The steel or stainless receivers are great for belt carry but the Lightweight Officers bottom makes a really good shoulder rig.Wilson's 47D mags[8 rds] coupled with Wilson's base pads that allow full sized spare mags. to be used in Officers Mod. frames without over insertion makes a great combo.Try it ,you'll like it and you can sell the left over Officers top ends to recoup the costs! Nick

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
The lighter weight of the Commander would trump the smaller size of the Officers Model for me. An Officers Model is not enough smaller to justify the extra weight and the difficult take-down procedure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The best of both worlds,IMO,is the Officers Mod.receiver with the Commander top end. i.e. Colts Concealed Carry Officers. I've never been able to snag one at a reasonable price so, I've made my own with used Commander top ends. The steel or stainless receivers are great for belt carry but the Lightweight Officers bottom makes a really good shoulder rig.Wilson's 47D mags[8 rds] coupled with Wilson's base pads that allow full sized spare mags. to be used in Officers Mod. frames without over insertion makes a great combo.Try it ,you'll like it and you can sell the left over Officers top ends to recoup the costs! Nick
I agree. I built a .38 Super CCO with an enhanced Series 80 slide, Storm Lake barrel, and a RIA compact receiver. The RIA receiver is all steel, which adds a bit more weight over an alloy Officers receiver, but I couldn't find a donor Officers model at a price that I thought was reasonable. I've been looking at a Fusion alloy Officers frame; it's not a bad price ($289), but I'd have to find a 'smith to build it up for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts