Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Colt Commander. Not a Lightweight Commander or Combat Commander, just a Commander. From the early '50's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are "lightweight", but they all were back then, no? So they weren't called lightweights.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
They are "lightweight", but they all were back then, no? So they weren't called lightweights.
yes, they were all lightweights, but weren't called that.
but then the serial # suffix letters told what they didn't spell out. :)

and yes, very nice gun.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
The Commander was introduced in 1949, the Combat Commander in 1970. Somewhere in time after that, I guess because they were both refered to as Commanders, that the Commander became the "Lightweight" Commander, and the Combat Commander became the Commander.

that is a nice "Commander".

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Is it any wonder that people always confuse this particular Colt nomenclature surrounding the Commanders.

Here is a 1951 "Commander" in 9mm....look at the tear sheet in the box. This sheet is original 1951.

I blame Colt for this....:D

OP...nice looking gun!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I recall when the Combat Commander came out, and I believe it was called that from the beginning. Despite the nomenclature on the '50s paperwork (which I was glad to have the opportunity to see) prior to the introduction of the Combat Commander I had previously never heard anyone refer to a Commander as a lightweight Commander.

Whatever one calls them, they are certainly good old weapons. I bought my 1952 Commander used in 1969; since then I've added sights which are visible to the human eye (unlike the factory sights) and the long trigger and flat mainspring housing which I prefer. To me it is the epitomy of carry weapons.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
RogerC, I can't clearly make out the serial number on your pistol but it appears to be a 4 digit number followed by-LW. If that is right your pistol is a late 1950 or 1951 piece. 1951 started with 6000-LW. That is a beaut! Nick

·
Registered
288 Posts
Beautiful Colt OP. I've always loved the spurred round hammers of the Commander.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RogerC, I can't clearly make out the serial number on your pistol but it appears to be a 4 digit number followed by-LW. If that is right your pistol is a late 1950 or 1951 piece. 1951 started with 6000-LW. That is a beaut! Nick
Ya, I typo'd in my first post. You are correct.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
So...were all of the 'Commanders' an Alloy frame or slide or something? To be 'Lightweight'?

Were any of them all Steel?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
So...were all of the 'Commanders' an Alloy frame or slide or something? To be 'Lightweight'?

Were any of them all Steel?
up until 1970 all commanders were alloy framed lightweights. the slides were always steel.
the all steel combat commander was introduced starting 1970.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts