Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Colt 1911 pistol. It has COMMANDING OFFICERS MODEL on the slide. The blued pistol has a officers model slide and barrel and a regular government model frame. It appears to be a factory built gun. It is in 95% condition. Please help me with some background information. Is this pistol a collectors item?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Depends on who's collecting them.

If it's what I think it is, it's a TALO limited edition of 100 pieces. I say it that way because I was offered one recently (NIB) and the one I saw had, among other things, an etched slide with a Colt medallion inlayed on the top and Presidential Seal medallions in its diamond checkered stocks; an impressive looking pistol indeed. Does this describe your gun? Oh, keep in mind that the 95% condition you describe would be an issue for a collector gun of this type. Anyway, TALO has been offering several highly embellished specials based on Colt 1991s and this one is no exception. I had sticker shock with the one that was offered to me. I declined.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but my personal opinion is that it and the other TALO offerings will not garner much collector interest, maybe in 100 years, I don't know /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Then again, who would have thought a plain ol' blue wheelgun comprising of a Trooper Mk. V frame and a Python style barrel would generate a fury of collector interest like no one's business!

It's hard to speculate so just enjoy the gun and don't agonize over whether you have a future collectible.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I disagree with the previous post. The description given fits the "Supreme Commander" being offered of late by Talo. Your Commanding Officers is a limited run from Colt, usually commissioned by a large Colt distributor. I have a listing of Lew Horton specials and the Commanding Officers is not on it....so (I am guessing here)that leaves Accusport or RSR as good guesses. Usually made in runs of 500. Yours is on a commander frame, not a govt., FWIW. There have been runs of "Tank Commanders", "Night Commander", "Silver Stallion", "Colt Commando", these come from the custom shop with officers slides and commander frames. Value? ....IF it has the serialed numbered box and ALL the paperwork....and you say 95%....I would say 900-1000 bucks, but of course that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
It's not a TALO. I think it's an RSR. They were, I believe, made on a combat commander type frame which has a shorter dust cover than a Government. I think if it's on a Government frame the dust cover will extend past the end of the slide slightly. It should also have a special serial. I have seen the slides and top ends floating around so just because one has a pistol doesn't mean that it was originally what the slide indicates. The tops sell on Ebay for around $275 complete. If the gun is correct and you could only verify that will a factory letter or the box and papers, it would probably be worth about what you've already been quoted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts