Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Various Commando letters arrived today.

Most interesting is the Commando shipped to the Rhode Island State Property Officer which Iikely went to the Rhode Island State Guard (more research to follow). If so, this is my fourth state guard Commando (joining Alabama, Massachusetts, and Vermont Commandos).

OSS

Rhode Island State Property Officer

US Treasury Office of Price Administration

US Maritime Commission

Fort Worth Police Department

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
hoya74,

Thanks for posting these. I really like seeing where some of these Commandos wound up. I need to order letters on some of my Commandos as well.

Best,
Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Various Commando letters arrived today.

Most interesting is the Commando shipped to the Rhode Island State Property Officer which Iikely went to the Rhode Island State Guard (more research to follow). If so, this is my fourth state guard Commando (joining Alabama, Massachusetts, and Vermont Commandos).

OSS

View attachment 707314 View attachment 707315

Rhode Island State Property Officer

View attachment 707316

View attachment 707317

US Treasury Office of Price Administration

View attachment 707318

View attachment 707319

US Maritime Commission

View attachment 707320

View attachment 707321

Fort Worth Police Department

View attachment 707322

View attachment 707323
I was born in 1945 in Fort Worth, TX. If you ever want to 're-home' this Colt Commando, please contact me @ [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Interesting. So the last one sat at the factory for 10 months before shipping out. That fits a pattern I’ve also observed with late-war S&W Victorys shipped to PD’s. The military didn’t have any urgent need any more.

As for your OSS Commando, I have one which missed that shipment by one day. It shipped to Northrop Aircraft on Dec. 8, 1943. Since I have an interest in the wartime aviation industry, I feel I got lucky ;)

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. So the last one sat at the factory for 10 months before shipping out. That fits a pattern I’ve also observed with late-war S&W Victorys shipped to PD’s. The military didn’t have any urgent need any more.

As for your OSS Commando, I have one which missed that shipment by one day. It shipped to Northrop Aircraft on Dec. 8, 1943. Since I have an interest in the wartime aviation industry, I feel I got lucky ;)
Absalom, here are a couple of aviation industry letters and a few others that also arrived yesterday:

Douglas Aircraft Company

Rohr Aircraft Company

A few other companies:

H. A. Wilson Company

Cuyahoga Spring Company

Illinois Cabinet Company

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Thanks for posting these!

Never heard of Rohr. I like “Foot of H Street” as an address ;)

From a company employee site:

“Fred Rohr and four of his associates found Rohr Aircraft Corporation on August 6, 1940 in his San Diego garage. Rohr served as President and General Manager. He believed that there "was a clear role in this surging aircraft industry for a manufacturing subcontractor that could provide the prime aircraft builders with major structural assemblies" (Rohr, 1990).”

From his garage to needing 20 Commandos presumably for his security department - pretty impressive.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Some excellent commands, thanks for sharing. I think there should be a thread just for commando.They are one of the underrated WWII revolvers. Because of war time rules the letters show the final ship location ( not just a hardware store or distributor) and they are still reasonably priced if you are patient and search them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts