Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Colt revolver that is labeled "Commando" on the barrel this week. It has grayish/black parkerizing (about 90%), reddish plastic grips, and no military markings.Serial number is 43404. There is the letter "I" on the butt of the grip frame. I know it is a wartime government purchased handgun. What is the meaning of the "I" ? It was priced at $185 OTD at a pawn shop so I had to have it since it was tight and in very good condition. I think I'll remove the plastic grips for safe keeping and use this one as a shooter. Would the FBI load of a 158 gr. +Plead HP be a good load for general use?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Though it could probably handle them, with the revolver being 60+ years old I would stick with standard pressure loads for most of the shooting. There's really no need to stress the older firearms we have. Put the hotter stuff in the newer guns that are stronger and more importantly have the parts for them if they break.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A great find,TWALKER!-AND- for at least 1/2 of what the usual price is for them! Majic gives wise counsel on the +Ps. Yes,the E frame Colts will handle them,but why beat it up? If you ever "need" to shoot a stronger load,for defense,they will handle them. Smart thinking too on the Coltwood or "plastic" stocks. While these aren't necessarilly scarce,those issued on the Commandos are a solid "reddish color,as you said. Colt used Coltwood or plastic stocks on most guns made in the 1946-51 era,but those tend to have a " a marbleized pattern of colors" running through the brown or reddish tone. What are you going to use for "shooting stocks"?-and-I find a grip adapter works well for my short,but wide hand. Enjoy this piece of history! I will see if the "I" is mentioned in a book I have on U.S. Military handguns. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
TWalker:
That's a steal all right. Congrats.
There is a great deal of information on these guns in Charles Pate's excellent book "US Handguns of WWII:The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers." I highly recommend it.
JT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts