Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got it in my head that I would like a Commando Special. I know they run was pretty limited and, as I understand it, based on some labor issues with the Colt employees who were doing finishes at the time. Are they rare enough that I can expect to have a difficult time finding one and a premium price tag attached? To me, with the parkarized finish, this just seems like a near perfect carry gun.Best regards,Gonzo

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up one in 2006 for $300, at a LGS. I bought it because it was different and I felt relatively inexpensive. I added a 6" Peacekeeper a couple of years ago for $350, and a local gun show. Neither are mint, nor boxed. But, both are solid 95% revolvers. I passed on a parkerized Trooper a few years ago for $350. I should have purchaed it to have all three. But, it had some pretty deep file marks in the frame that just sort of turned me away. And, it had been shot a lot, as it was pretty loose. Other than these, I have only seen one other Peacekeeper. Asking price on that was about the same. They definetely do not have the feel or look of a vintage Python, but they do shoot. And, they are about the cheapest way to shoot a Colt in today's market. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
The way I understood it at their time of manufacture, was that they were built to offer competition to the Charter Arms 'Bulldog', but their obvious lack of a fine fit and finish and resultant poor appearance was off-putting to folks used to the 'Detective Special', so they were a relatively short-lived affair.

Besides - no one bought the 'Bulldog' because it was pretty - they bought it because it was a large-caliber piece.

Putting two and two together - Colt had just been purchased by the UAW, and was finding out that in a Union-run outfit - 'seniority' was the 'Name of the Game', so those senior bumper-polishers and their old, ham-handed assemblers were let loose, to run amok in a plant where millimeters counted, and not inches.

That's when the QC problems with the Third Generation Single Action Army appeared.

If you can find a nice one at a reasonable price (I see them in the midwest closer to $400) - pick one up - but I wouldn't buy one at that price without its box and papers.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I bought my Commando Special new in 1984. While the exterior is a low polish, parkerized finish, the interior is finished like any standard Detective Special, and it shoots great. I like the idea of a dull finish on a carry gun, but at that time, I didn't appreciate the concept of light weight snubs for something that was going to be "carried a lot, shot a little." I may eventually find a lower priced Agent, but for now, my S&W 642 works just fine. It's been my "always" gun for about five years now.

Buck

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
The way I understood it at their time of manufacture, was that they were built to offer competition to the Charter Arms 'Bulldog', but their obvious lack of a fine fit and finish and resultant poor appearance was off-putting to folks used to the 'Detective Special', so they were a relatively short-lived affair.

Besides - no one bought the 'Bulldog' because it was pretty - they bought it because it was a large-caliber piece.

Putting two and two together - Colt had just been purchased by the UAW, and was finding out that in a Union-run outfit - 'seniority' was the 'Name of the Game', so those senior bumper-polishers and their old, ham-handed assemblers were let loose, to run amok in a plant where millimeters counted, and not inches.

That's when the QC problems with the Third Generation Single Action Army appeared.

If you can find a nice one at a reasonable price (I see them in the midwest closer to $400) - pick one up - but I wouldn't buy one at that price without its box and papers.
Uhhhh....NO.
The Colt Commando Special was one of several models made during the big Colt strike of the 1980's. It had nothing to do with the Charter Arms guns.
Colt didn't have enough qualified polishers available to do every model, so they put the people they had on the premium models like the Python, and introduced several versions of guns with unpolished black finishes.
The Peacekeeper was the flat black version of the Trooper Mark V.
The Commando Special was the flat black version of the Detective Special.
There was also a rather rough, flat black Cobra that often still had forge marks on the cylinder crane and frame.
As soon as the strike ended, these unpolished models were quickly discontinued.

Second, Colt was never "purchased by the UAW" and was never a "UAW run outfit".
At one point during Colt's financial problems a percentage of Colt was bought by the state of Connecticut and another percentage by the UAW. These were very much minority percentages and offered only limited control of the company.
The purpose was to keep Colt from closing it's doors and for the state and the UAW loosing the jobs.
Colt was never majority owed by either the state or the UAW and the UAW was never allowed to control Colt.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I will take all the 400.00, nice, boxed Commando Specials I can get. Please let me know where they are at.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I will take all the 400.00, nice, boxed Commando Specials I can get. Please let me know where they are at.
those are my thoughts too. imo all of the prices mentioned above are low in today's market!

·
Registered
251 Posts
here's a pic of mine with my Cobra, picked it up for $500 at a gun show a few years back. And a page from the 1984 catalog showing it... someday I'd like to add a parkerized Peacekeeper to go with it. Like the look of it...

·
Premium Member
21,053 Posts
I picked up a Commando Special at a local gun show about 2 years ago. I like the gun's finish and the action, but those are the ugliest grips that Colt ever made.

·
Premium Member
21,053 Posts
BTW, I was not referring to the grips on the Commando Special that Chez323 posted. I was referring to the factory grips that Colt put on those guns.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
On the catalog page, those are factory grips on the Commando Special. They are also quite functional. They fill the area behind the trigger guard, and the pinky indentation at the bottom allows a secure full-hand grip in a minimal size. Looks:confused:... well, that's another matter.

Buck

·
Premium Member
21,053 Posts
Haggis: I took the factory grips off of my CS and stored them (for collecting purposes) and put the wooden grips on the gun like the ones on the Agent in the catalog picture. I am not aware of Colt ever using that rubber/plastic composition on any other pistol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking for help in determining a fair selling or trade-in price for a Colt Commando Special that I purchased in the mid-eighties with the black parkerized finish. See attachments, even though they don't do it justice. One pic shows the worst finish imperfection on the cylinder; One shows the typical quality. It is in great shape and has less than 24 rounds through it in its life. I have all boxes, inserts, letter from Colt etc. I had hoped to pass it down to my daughter for her first carry gun, but she has her sights set on something else, so thought I would use it to get her what she wants. I would just appreciate some guidance on a fair outright sale to an individual or what to consider a fair trade-in amount. We have a gun show in town here in a week. Any help will be appreciated.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun Muffler Airsoft Machine Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I always hear the statement about the strike causing Colt to not have enough polishers and therefore the rough parkerized finish ...

But these guns were produced from 1982 - 1986. The UAW four year strike started in 1986, so how could the above statement be true???

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Same here. I have an agent and would love to find a commando special.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.