Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
And, considering the last WWII Commando was made more than 60 years ago, don't be surprised to find them with a refinish to blue.

Over the years, I've seen both Commando's and S&W Victory models that were refinished to blue.

A lot can happen in 60 years and who knows how many owners.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
I have heard this representation of blued Commandos before, and do not believe it. However, it is possible that some barrels already so marked were blued and used as a parts cleanup after WWII production ended. I doubt it, and would want a letter verifying before buying. Unfortunately, it is possible that such a letter might not answer the question if the finish was not specified due to Parkerizing being the only finish used during production, thus no record of the finish being entered in the records.

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
Buyer beware on any rare variations .

Can you post/email a good photo showing markings ?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The story lies underneath the stocks. I believe that parkerizing will be taken off with bead blasting and buffing. Is there clear signs of machining? Any signs of polishing? Is it the bluing bright underneath the finish?

This is a interesting and strange variation.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That is as about as it can get!!! maybe the issue holster rig to add to it,but I won't be surprised if the final bid is $1000,or more!!

You not only have the Colt collectors bidding,but the "military collectors" also!

To think,I used to,and I guess still do, a little,view the Commandos and Victories,as "rough" with their parkerized finish!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
LW, Your estimate is too high. Check out this auction from 2 years ago. Prices and here's the pics. I don't believe the box, manual and tools are worth that much more. I do believe that Jim graded the gun too high.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I just got off the phone with a man that has several of these MASS guns. Each is still in the grease and comes with serialized box, tool and manual. I've purchased one and maybe more. I'll have pics in the next 24 hours. The price was much less than $1000

·
Registered
991 Posts
It has eleven days left, so we'll see how far it goes. I don't recall anyone quoting an educated value on these in previous threads, and it does seem to be a very collectible piece.

If "Addicted" is correct and there were only 300 shipped in 1944, you have to wonder where these have been sitting around all these years in "like new" condition.

I'm guessing it will go between $800 and $1000. Let's keep a watch and see.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The most recent Colt Commando sales I recall were in the $500.00+/- range for a really nice one with no box or extras, and the last Massachusetts gun was around $750.00 with box and all the goodies. I haven't noticed any Mass. guns on the internet auctions, so it's hard to say what will happen when deep pockets, testosterone surges, and one of the Mass guns, all come together on one of the auction sites.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Here's a pic of the MASS gun that I purchased last evening. I will keep it in it's original grease.

·
Registered
116 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
it's hard to say what will happen when deep pockets, testosterone surges, and one of the Mass guns, all come together on one of the auction sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be the "Perfect Storm" of auctions.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Would it be more valuable if the factory grease was still on the gun? Did all Commando's ship in grease or just the MASS models?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Addicted,

Is it really grease, or is it cosmoline? Keeping it in the original grease might not be a good idea. I've heard that most greases, after aging and hardening, will become acidic and can damage the metal.

I'm certainly not an expert, but this is what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd understood that Colt used MIL-STD (military standard) grease. If applied and stored properly the firearm should be protected forever.....well a very long time and in the worst conditions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well,I guess the old wolf nailed that final price,based on my post of 8/30 !!

No,I didn't buy it!! Blued steel and wood is my fetish,not parkerized finishes.But,when you are dealing with a military piece that nice,original,and NIB,you not only have Colt collectors in the bidding,but serious "military collectors" also;this is why I knew the price would escalate.

An example is a 2nd model .455 S&W I got back in Jan. at a private sale,complete with Canadian issue holster,lanyard,Sam Browne belt,and even W.W. One ammo/packets; price $275. Gun is probably 85% and has the original owners name nicely engraved,but after his being KIA,and young Lt.(who "inherited" it from the Major) "scratched"his name onto sideplate and the holster,ruining the finish, IMO.

Gun itself MIGHT bring $500, as its original and "uncut", to an S&W collector,BUT,a military collector has offered me $1000 for the complete rig,especially after a lady friend,a research librarian at a university,found out the biography of the 2 owners from Canada.

It is a different playing field and lineup with the military marked pieces,but watch out for spurious markings, It seemed to begin with "stamps" being made to make "Nazi" and German issued guns out of some regular semi auto European pistols,now as Bob Best graciously pointed out,the "fake stamps" are being used on "U.S." pistols and revolvers.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
WOW, you guessed it. I never thought it'd bring that much money. I now agree that the military guy's (money) drove the price up.

GOOD CALL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts