Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments from the Houston Collector\'s gun show.

I went to the show today looking for revolvers. If I were to rename it, I would call it the Houston Colt gun show. Seems like most the revolvers were colts I saw. Lots of them.

Diamondback were running from 450 to 950, depending on the shape. I almost bought the 450 one, but it was badly out of time.

Pythons were from about 500 to 1600 depending.

Saw a bunch of detective specials. Nickled, and blued. Lots of first and second generation versions.

Saw a 3" viper. I consider it for a few minutes at $500 but I really could not justify it other then to have a "viper".

Saw a 3" detective special. First one I have ever seen.

Saw several 22 diamondback. Most were running in the $850 for a 6" ones. They all looked nice.

Many officer models or similar 357 colts. I am not to "up" on these guns, so I tended to just glance and move on.

Lots of single actions, just darn near piles of them.

Many new services, but nothing that looked really collectable. All were pretty "used".

Good show, lots to see, but I was disappointed. I was on the hunt for another 38/44 or possibly a Registered Magnum. I only saw 3 triple locks and they were "obscenely" priced in my opinion.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: Comments from the Houston Collector\'s gun show.

Good Lordy! You should have bought the $500.00 Viper. They are scarce as "hens teeth". Sounds like a heckuva lot better show than I went to a week ago in Florida. Joe/Deb from GunBroker bought every decent gun before the show opened.

·
Registered
185 Posts

damn dude, is it going on tomorrow as well? I'd love to have gone......never knew it was here!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Sounds to me like the flood damaged are hitting the market. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peter, I hope you faired well.

·
Registered
185 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like the flood damaged are hitting the market. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peter, I hope you faired well.

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAAAAAHAHAHA!

Too funny!

I was at Ft.Knox when we thought that second hurricane was going to hit Houston and everyone was "running for the hills".....I called home and wife said she wanted to head towards central TX. After talking on the phone for awhile, we figured she would do MORE damage to the weapons trying to move them rather than just staying and defending them.

After the storm made a serious right hand turn, Houston ended up getting almost no rain.....kinda wierd.

Wife and I were talking about how many "high dollar" guns were now taken out of the market forever......a shame.

Lee

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Sounded like a very interesting show. Thank you for the summary, Peter. This might be a good feature to add to our forum, gunshow summaries. None of us can attend every show, but we are all curious what is going on in the market in different parts of the country.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Peter, thanks for the feedback on the Diamondback pricing. It's very close to what I see around here in Florida, maybe your's a tad on the high end. I still see a few DBs in the $600-650 range that are in decent shape, but I don't need to accumulate.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I live out on the west side of houston. We got .51" of rain from Rita and 55 mph winds. I have seen far worse thunderstorms.

My family and I have been preparing for a hurricane strike for over 15 years. We have a generator, RV camper, 100 gallons of gas, 200 gallons of water, ceramic water filters (for camping), chemical toilets, showers, AC, MRE's (by the case) food, and lots of guns. Baring a direct tornado strike (dang I hate when that happens) we will weather out most any storm fine.

My way of preparing for the storm was pick up resources a bit at a time, a few batteries here, a generator there, a water filter here, a couple of cases of MRE's a year and slowly you get prepared.

On the Viper. I really had no idea. I would only have bought it so I had a Python, a diamondback and a viper. It seemed like a stupid reason to buy a gun, so I kept looking. It was in very nice to NIB shape though, that is why I pondered it a bit.

·
Registered
185 Posts

You sound fairly prepared there.......with 3 young daughters, 2 large dogs, and two cats, my family only has 2 speeds; slow and stop.

We are blessed that even with the worst of Houston floods, we have NEVER had a problem.

We live in the Cy-Fair / Copperfield area....

I shoot at Hot Wells, 59-Gun Range, or Bayou City Rifle Range (N. Eldridge near I10).

Seems we have a few Houston folks here.....out to have a "Colt Shootoff".

Lee

·
Registered
345 Posts

You guys ought to be aware of Joe/Deb driveing up prices and vultureing on the before gun show set-ups.I've seen this practice on watches and such.I didn't know that it would go to the guns,as eBay don't sell guns.They are very slick in their presintations of their guns on gunbrokers.com and too good to be true.It's a free country but if you know what they sell their guns for you ought to sell them to them at their price and say "Hey,that's what I can sell them on the internet for".We as collectors should be aware that people like this are driveing up prices too much for the pocketbook.I haven't bought a gun from Joe/Deb yet but I have been close,they're good sellers to the amatures like myself.I don't know if these people will come to Oklahoma all the way from Florida,but it wont surprise me.If you will notice on their auctions they never have a gun sell for less then 100% of the book value,and usually they sell for much more.There is even a hint of shill bidding on their non-reserved auctions.An auction tool that even eBay turns their back on,but don't enforce because they collect off the ending price.This is a felony by the way if someone wants to push it.If Joe/Deb reads this I'm more then willing to back up all that I say,but you should know I took my wife to a trial in a divorce instead of mediating the case and I never backed down from a fight yet.
I live for this kinda stuff,I'd love to sue the United States of America in fact for everything they been screwing us out of.
Joe

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Re: Comments from the Houston Collector\'s gun show

Watch Colt auctions (and many other brands) on Gunbroker.com.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Comments from the Houston Collector\'s gun show

[ QUOTE ]
Watch Colt auctions (and many other brands) on Gunbroker.com.

[/ QUOTE ]
And Duster look at the Smith&Wessons they sell too.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Here is link to a GunBroker auction area where Joe/Deb is selling a Smith & Wesson. His comment to us at the West Palm show was that he wanted to have 30 auctions going all the time. Sounds like he might be trying to make a living off of GunBroker, and other auction sites.

Here is the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=38601797

·
Registered
345 Posts

robba
One of the things I learned off ebay is lots of bids attract buyers.It's like "Oh man,this must be a popular item,I didnt know".You can click the bid history and see bidders with no history,or the bidder is buying womens things when the bidder now is bidding on a man's thing,,like a gun,if you check his past history.It's not a secret that sellers get lots of nicknames,and use their friends and relatives also to bid their auctions up to a higher price.This is the part that constitutes fraud and is the FELONY,meaning a loss of a persons FLL if convicted.So I dought gun sellers would want to take this on and perfer to just let it lie if they were smart.But somewhere in the back of my mind I think I will get some e-mail off this,and possibly some threats,like when I brought it up against ebay sellers.A good defense is always a good offense and people like to threaten to shut people up.I'm just glad I'm very computor literate and savy to hacking web sites and such.So if I lose my privaledges from this site,I thank all you guys and would miss putting my 2 cents into a discussion.
I first started selling on eBay in 1998 or so,and watched the progression.So I'm not a virgin by any means.Built up a sizeable collection of this and that's along the way.You been to any swap meet or flea market or gun show and you hear,,,"That's what they're selling on eBay",or "I can sell this on eBay for such and such amount"...I get so frustated sometimes I go home and what do I do?...I get on eBay,,,the best garage sale on the planet.You need to know how to treat these auction sites,like eBay and gunbrokers or you'll be buying a family heirloom,,,,meaning you paid too much.I'm sorry this led up to this and rightfully it should have been put on a seperate posting.
Joe....not the Joe/Deb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts