Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the gun world but I saying goodbye to my Ruger LCP .380 and am looking at
the above. So if any one has experience with the Colt Defender 9mm and the Sig Sauer .380 P 238
I would be greatful for any info.

houser49

·
Registered
17 Posts
Totally different guns. Not fair to compare them. The LCP is a pocket gun the Defender is not. Now if you have cargo pants/shorts on it can be but most of us on here I think are blue jeans type people. I carry a LCP during the day at work in my back pocket. I carry my .45 defender at night when the wife and I go to the show or dinner and I wear a outer shirt as a cover. They both have a place and one can not replace the other. JMO...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I am considering taking the LCP out of the equation totally. Going a little larger with either the Defender or the Sig P238. Any thoughts on comparing those two???

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
Apples and oranges. A large gun chambered in .380ACP makes no sense to me. A large gun of limited magazine capacity chambered in 9x19 likewise does not make sense for concealed carry. There are many 9x19 guns that are as small or smaller than the SIG, and offer a lot more power and magazine capacity. There are many 9x19 guns smaller than the Defender that offer more magazine capacity and less weight. The Kel-Tec P11 is my personal carry piece in that size and power category. It holds 10 + 1 and weighs about a pound loaded.

Why do you find the LCP inadequate now? It would seem that the LCP would almost always be concealable, whereas anything bigger would not be under many circumstances. The "first rule" is to have a gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JudgeColt: At my age I am getting into full blown arthritis. The LCP I just cannot hold on to. The Sig P238 is
not very large but it gives me some heft. Not sure about it either.
But then I have always wanted a Colt, but I am now learning that 1911 with the cock & lock is the name of that game and
my circle of helpers, husband, 2 sons & a brother who was a gunsmith, all trying to head me away from the 1911 for that
reason. Others say, it is a learning or training issue. Also the Springfield Armory XDM 40SW has no thumb saftey lock, but has
the backstrap saftey and the double trigger. Which is more dangerous or precarious. They think I should have the Springfield.
What does your experience say?

Thanks
houser49

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
The Kel-Tec P11 has no safety to manipulate. Just pull the trigger just like a double-action revolver. You have 9x19 power and more capacity in a package about the size of the SIG. And it costs about half what the SIG costs.

Do not let the "experts" around you run it down. Most likely they have never owned or fired a P11, and have heard from some "expert" that the gun is junk or the like. It is not. I would not carry one were it not reliable. Give it a look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Friendly advice is always nice to have. The question is difficult as the two are very different, and comparing the two is not going to answer, which feels best in your hand and which can you operate with less difficulty. If you have a chance I would try to handle both and if possible shoot them to see which you prefer. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would highly recommend the Colt to you. Due to your arthritis, I think the larger frame will work better for you. Of course, that's just a hypothesis and you should try to at least hold one in your grip and see how you like it. I think the 9mm in the Colt will have less "felt" recoil due to the size and weight of the pistol. The Colt will help spread out the recoil of the 9mm well due to its grip and grip safety. Obviously, the 9mm will be better for you with recoil compared to a larger caliber (.45) compact 1911. Plus you mentioned that you've always wanted a Colt and I think Colt makes the best semi-autos right now that they've ever made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have all three, Sig P238, Colt Defender 45 ACP (not the 9mm), and arthritis. I've found the following works for me and I have medium size hands.

P238: Very easy to shoot and manipulate, use the extended magazine, accurate, no failures of any kind, filled with DPX, easy concealed carry in a DeSantis Nemisis. Hardly any felt recoil and has night sights.

Defender .45: Owning other 9mm's, would say not much recoil difference between a 45 and a 9. Slim Aluma grips, Wilson grip safety, Wilson mag's with DPX. Very accurate, no failures other than had to replace the recoil springs once after 500 rounds. No night sights.
For me, both are naturally pointing although noticeably different in felt recoil. Even with "Arthur" the Defender recoil is manageable for me.
The comparison is still "Apples and Oranges", the P238 is pocket carry and the Defender is not.

For what it's worth, better half shoots both of the above very well. However she carries the P238 because of the weight difference although she favors shooting the Defender and is more accurate with it.

Bottom line: Try out both and pick what works best for you, also be sure and take a look at the Judge's choice, he knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
mainly depends on type of carry. For pocket carry go with the SIG or a Colt Pocketlite if you can find one. i personally hate polymer guns and do not find them any safer than the defender if you know how to use the pistol.Then again ,I am more of a revolver guy,and would go for a hammer shrouded Agent.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
There's some very good overall advice in this thread. And the one I'm going to specifically echo is to find the one that works best for you in your situation. I absolutely favor my Colt Officers Model .45 but have some nerve damage in my shooter thumb causing me some difficulty manipulating the weapon quickly and reliably now. Current option is a Colt Cobra.
If you have a Shooting Range in your area that offers the ability to rent guns (have a very nice one here in Bellevue WA) take advantage of it and try out several. It can be abit pricey to test out 7 or 8 but a whole lot less then buying one that ultimately won't work out for you. You'll end up not carrying it and then perhaps find a need to have done so. The very best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't always carry, but when I do it's a S&W Model 60. Stay loaded my friends.

Fortibus55 makes a great point. Rent many and see what YOU like best. We all like and can handle different firearms for different reasons, but asking about a 9mm Defender and a Sig .380 opens many many doors to others....like Kimber's Solo. Try as many as you can and pick what works for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bg 380

FWIW...I don't care for the LCP for the same reason as you. However, I purchased a Sig P238 because it felt so good in my hand. I quickly discovered that I could not get my head around carying it "cocked and locked". Also, the safety does NOT engage the slide, making it prone to go out of battery when holstered. It was a dream to shoot....when it didn't jam. One trip back to Sig and 3 phone calls later, I traded it for a S&W Bodyguard .380. I was very dissapointed with Sig CS after they told me that I was shooting the wrong ammo, I had to use Federal American Eagle. WRONG ANSWER.
The S&W is DAO and has a manual safety. I feel very comfortable carrying it in any manner, and it's never failed after 300 rounds of various types/brands of ammo.
I would strongly suggest adding it to your list of perspective carry guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the responses, I love the help. Here is where I am. Sold the LCP, got $440 for it because of the Crimson Trace. Went to the range & shot my Sig P232, was better then I remember. Shot my Ruger SR9, like it, holds 17 rounds. I DID buy the Colt Defender 9mm. Have not shot it yet but I am excited. It is also the 100 yr version so it has a commemorative engraving. I am going to work hard, even if I have to take a class or get one on one help. Will keep you posted. I love the gun. Yeah, I have a COLT. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts