Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to my local powder/primer source, a local shotgun range. She hasn’t had small pistol primers in a awhile. Some powders she can’t get. I am good for awhile as I never get below a certain level with powder or primers. Anyone else?
Also I check some of the big suppliers and ammo and components are getting low.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I’ve been unable to find Speer 0.451” 185gr TMJ-SWC; they are on backorder everywhere. For a while Varget powder was scarcer than hens teeth. I, like you, have threshold quantities but I may need to increase the quantities on some items...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I wonder how successful swapping ammo for primers would be? I guess it would have to be a local deal making the odds high. Think I’ll run across the street and try it.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I had some large rifle primers (2 1000 piece cartons) that I managed to swap to my LGS for the same amount of small pistol/small rifle primers. Might not work everywhere, but certainly worth a try! I remember buying a 1000 primer carton for about $15.00. Now, on Gunbroker, they are bringing $100 or (much) more! Don't you just love it?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Since the shutdown started in March of this year I have been doing some reloading for my range trips. Just load enough for the days shooting. The pro shop at the gun club has powder, primers and bullets and there seems to be a good stock on hand. I believe the pro shop stocked up because they remember the last shortage.

I could have bought a bunch but I really don't need it as much as the next guy does so I didn't buy any components.

Jim

·
Registered
149 Posts
I restocked the reloading bins last year so I didn't notice that stuff got hard to get. But, when I went to buy some bulk 45 colt bullets last month I noticed. I couldn't find what I wanted and what I did find I wasn't paying that much for it. I'll wait, I didn't have an ammo shortage with #44 and I won't have one with the new sky is falling episode.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I’m good for the rest of my life, B/P might be a issue in the future as I burn more of that than any thing else. 15K loaded rounds for 70 rifles and handguns in 27 different cartridges.Long winter days at the bench making ammo that is tailored to each gun for the best accuracy for the given task. To be not well stocked at this point is going to be expensive when you find what you need.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I buy when it's plentiful, always have so I can ignore shortages. I cast for rifle, handgun, shotgun, and muzzle-loaders so I always have projectiles, plus a good stock of jacketed bullets and shot. A little voice said to me in 2007 to buy a few cases of .22rf and I'm glad I listened. Like longranger, I have enough to see me through the rest of my life. I won't reload for others and won't shoot others reloads.

Somehow people think I need their brass though, I've got a bunch of the stuff in calibers I don't own that I'll be getting rid of shortly along with dies for calibers I don't have. Seems as though widows think I can use the stuff being of the same vintage as their former husbands, or maybe I'm the only one still alive they can think of that reloads. Just two weeks ago a woman gave me a bucket and a storage box full of brass. I've yet to sort through it all, but a good deal of it will be passed along to somebody that can use it. I've got enough clutter in my shop of my own making!

Many young shooters don't want to reload, say they don't have the time for it, or they don't trust themselves to do it. Maybe, I don't know, but if they have the time to shoot, they ought to make time to reload and do it safely. When I offer to mentor and advise it's always the same, too busy, not smart enough, or some other excuse. I tell em I won't do it for em and they get mad. I don't fare well with stupid or lazy people, I'm a grumpy old Veteran and I don't care.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hording or smart preparation?

With the Clinton Memorial and the Obama Memorial stashes of components, I shot as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted during those nonsensical times. Those two droughts confirmed preparation as a wise policy to follow and I could only wonder why others didn't see it coming before it did. I also cast both rifle and pistol bullets with an adequate supply of lead, lubricant and gas checks for the continued pursuit of my chosen hobby and sport. And now... should it all go south again, I'm ready for Biden's lunacy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts