Colt Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
In FL the sign has to be specifically what is required by the state, usually a pistol in the circle with the slash across, and if I'm not mistaken posted on the entrance.
In some cases like going to the VA especially the main hospitals where they have their own LEO, pay attention to the signs, which state that firearms are prohibited on the property. Well they're 60 miles from home therefore...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Around here , to get in a letter to the editor they post your name and town . My buddies would tease me for a move like this one . An old song of Alice Cooper , the line sings , I got no friends cause they read the papers , I can't be seen .:)

Reactions: COKid

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I don’t pay attention to “no firearms allowed” signs unless it violates state law. All they can do is trespass me and that lets me know where I don’t have to spend my money.
people forget guns are safety tools. at least it is to me. You can need it at anytime and probably anywhere.
What happens when some idiot decides to rob one of these so called "No firearms allowed" establishments ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Several years ago I got a concealed/carry permit from the state of Utah, Being a Canadian that in itself was an honor to think that a foreign gov't, Yours, would trust Me to carry a firearm for protection, and My own gov't wouldn't, Ya' can't get one in Canada. 'eh. In 2011 That honor would not be renewed however because of the U.S.Homeland Security new rules and how I. at that time got determined to be a possible threat, I guess. I also had a Florida drivers license and they wouldn't renew that either, for the same reasons, and I swear I still know how to drive. Anyway what I aim to get at is this; when I took that c/c course the first thing the instructor impressed upon the class was the whole idea of having a "concealed" weapon is , that nobody knows Your carrying and You don't broadcast the fact You are. Not to be arrogant or rude, but putting the fact You are carrying in the local paper kinda overrule the idea of a c/c permit in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
people forget guns are safety tools. at least it is to me. You can need it at anytime and probably anywhere.
What happens when some idiot decides to rob one of these so called "No firearms allowed" establishments ?
While a robbery at a "no firearms allowed" establishment might change the opinion of the owners/employees, that's not a given. It's possible they might go "full liberal" and demand a ban on all guns.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Several years ago I got a concealed/carry permit from the state of Utah, Being a Canadian that in itself was an honor to think that a foreign gov't, Yours, would trust Me to carry a firearm for protection, and My own gov't wouldn't, Ya' can't get one in Canada. 'eh. In 2011 That honor would not be renewed however because of the U.S.Homeland Security new rules and how I. at that time got determined to be a possible threat, I guess. I also had a Florida drivers license and they wouldn't renew that either, for the same reasons, and I swear I still know how to drive. Anyway what I aim to get at is this; when I took that c/c course the first thing the instructor impressed upon the class was the whole idea of having a "concealed" weapon is , that nobody knows Your carrying and You don't broadcast the fact You are. Not to be arrogant or rude, but putting the fact You are carrying in the local paper kinda overrule the idea of a c/c permit in the first place.
You might better understand my intent were you familiar with Wyoming. A study a while back determined that Wyoming has the highest per capita firearm ownership of all US states and that a majority of the state's citizens carry at least part of the time and many carry all the time and permits are not required to openly or concealed carry in the state.
I'm sure that quite a few people that read my article just nodded and said to themselves, "Sure, I do or will do the same thing."
My intent was to take a public jab at a corporation that has created a rule with the intention of attempting to govern my life more than it already is. A rule that, in light of the increasing number of shootings at retail outlets across the US, could possibly put me in a dangerous situation at some point.
Plus they're not even obeying the law that states they are required to post this rule at the entrances to their establishments so while I'm not observing a "rule" they're not observing a "law".
You might think, "well just shop somewhere else" but since as far as I can determine the Albertsons corporation owns all the major groceries stores in Wyoming there are no places to shop for groceries that don't have the same rule.
I am not going to flaunt my opinion of their rule by openly carrying in their establishment just to cause a scene and make a political statement but I have no qualms about sidestepping it by carrying a concealed firearm for protection in the event that one day while I'm shopping things go sideways.
If that happens, which I sincerely hope never does, I'd much rather live to take my chances in court rather than the chance of ending up in a morgue or a hospital.
Now if I lived in a state with more restrictive firearms laws and opinions my letter to the editor might cause a bit of a stir. In the Land of Californication or DC it might even trigger an anti terrorism investigation but I'm not the first person in Wyoming to have sent a letter to a local paper about carrying concealed firearms in a business.
In 2012 just after the theater shooting in Aurora Colorado one of the local movie theaters decided to prohibit all firearms in their establishment which caused quite a reaction and a flurry of letters from Wyoming firearm owners stating for their own safety they intended to continue to concealed carry regardless of the theater's rules.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
While a robbery at a "no firearms allowed" establishment might change the opinion of the owners/employees, that's not a given. It's possible they might go "full liberal" and demand a ban on all guns.
Great point buddy, I will never understand the liberal mind.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In a sane world any "law" that allows a business to BAN weapons would make the business liable for the safety of its patrons. Too bad we don't live in a sane world.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Businesses forbidding firearms on or in their property is nothing new, especially out here in the West during the wild and wooly days.
Towns would even forbid firearms within town limits and notifications were posted where they could be seen when you were coming into town telling folks to check their firearms at the sheriff's or marshal's office.
But both of these ideas were usually seasonal and/or temporary and adopted as strategies to keep drunken cowboys, miners, and ranch hands from running amok at the end of cattle drives and on paydays.
In both cases the business owners and town authorities would put signs out so everybody knew what was going on.
The big differences between then and now is that back when these laws & ordinances were enacted and used they actually were "common sense" and they worked pretty well.
They weren't used as political tools and firearms and firearm owners, except in a few instances, weren't considered dangerous or evil.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
In Texas several different signs relating to Constitutional Carriers, Licensed Carriers, or open carriers may be posted at the entrance to a business, or public buildings. The best remedy is don’t carry into the building! If you are discovered to be carrying a concealed firearm and asked to leave the premises - leave the premises! If not the penalties climb exponentially; including becoming a Class “A“ Misdemeanor and up to 1 year in jail and a $4,000.00 fine! Not worth it if you ask me! Although I carry my hand gun under LEOSA I am not an active LEO a on the job - so if asked to leave I will!.

The best way, in my opinion, to fight a law is by protest and challenging the law in court. We don’t need to give Gun grabbers like O’Rourke any ammunition!

·
Registered
592 Posts
In a sane world any "law" that allows a business to BAN weapons would make the business liable for the safety of its patrons. Too bad we don't live in a sane world.
In an insane society, a sane mind would seem insane.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
In an insane society, a sane mind would seem insane.
I asked a VA psychologist once, "If a clinically insane person knows that they're insane does that make them sane?"
No answer was forthcoming. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
592 Posts
I asked a VA psychologist once, "If a clinically insane person knows that they're insane does that make them sane?"
No answer was forthcoming. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............
Well, it was the VA.

Reactions: Dr.Tramp

·
Registered
907 Posts
I advise alerting the business that such policies that disarming honest citizens helps criminals. As such you can and will post the business at the local jails and prison bulletin boards to keep making workplace robberies more safety conscious.

Ask for the managers names so it can be included as a contact for criminals who may have HR concerns or policy questions before, during, or after robberies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts