Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
some may have read my recent post on my wife and other of her female co-workers deciding to take a concealed weapons class. I posted about trying to decide on which gun or guns to introduce her to shoot and take to the class. I've known her for about a decade and I had never seen her touch a gun. So I know they decided to do this class kind of like a "let's all go shopping or something"... but obviously as the time grew near, all involved realized it is not a thing to be taken lightly. A couple of weeks ago she and I went shooting. She shot a LCR 38 and a Ruger long barreled single six .22 (I don't have any 22 Colts with a safety transfer bar, so I went with the Ruger. ) I do have some Colt shooters in .22 so maybe she will like to try one out now. The original instructor said no .22's. She liked shooting the .22 better of course. They switched instructors at the last minute and .22's were given the okay. She quickly said Single Six over the LCR when given the choice. It's obviously not a concealed gun, but I want her to take what she felt good about since she only went shooting once in her life. She came home with all the confidence in the world today. I had no idea they would get scored on their shooting. When I took it years ago, we only had to hit a target.. but no scores. Anyway. 5 out of the 8 women that signed up did show up.
Here's the good part: all showed up with slide action weapons and had a good laugh when they saw her "cowboy gun".
Well she came in with a score of 99.3 in second place. This was her second trip to the range in her life ! The winner shot a 99.6 and shoots regularly in a club. Nobody was laughing when they saw the scores. My wife's group was actually better than the winners too. just had two in the 9 circle and winner had one. 30 shots total !! So I gotta brag.
She wanted the trophy. I told her the most important thing is she learned and got 100 on her test... much more important to understand the rules of concealed carry.

The instructor let them know that shot placement is more important than the number of rounds downrange. Of course I have explained to her now that she needs to become familiar with something she wants to carry comfortably and can shoot, .. and stopping power has its place as she won't be target shooting if she ever needs to protect herself.. situations can be more point and shoot. One thing they all realized was that revolvers are very reliable and the right revolver is viable for concealed carry. Apparently all with concealed slide actions had misfires or issues of some type where shooting stopped. I'm betting limp wristing was alot to do with it, or ammo selection. This all emphasized to my wife the importance of shooting regularly to have confidence that the gun works each and every pull of the trigger.

I may have to buy her a Colt now !

Registered
Nice shooting.As a Firearms instructor I would stay away from the lightweight revolvers such as the scandium or airweights.I believe one should shoot what they carry and carry what they shoot.If a gun hurts to shoot the inclination is not to practice with it.The exception to this rule is the Colt Agent or Cobra.Both of these guns have the lightweight but are so well balanced they are fun to shoot.Let it be known I am partial to revolvers for CCW.Enjoy and congrats....Mike P.S.......BUY HER A COLT LOL

Registered
Thats great!! I wish I could get my wife interested. She's shot a couple of times, but aside from that she's not to interested.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats great!! I wish I could get my wife interested. She's shot a couple of times, but aside from that she's not to interested.
Its something . I tell ya. I was hardly allowed to mention the word gun in front of the kids.. now she's shopping gun stuff on amazon. somebody told me women marry men thinking we will change.. and we don't. And men marry women thinking they won't change... and they do !

I understand too. She would never shoot with me before, but bunch of girls want to take the class and its a go and damn the torpedos! buddy told me after seeing her results that she would now be a suspect if a sniper ever took me out.. told him No.. if she got me just look for the frying pan dent in my head.

Registered
Now you can set all her guns to shoot high and to the right.

So you can run low and to the left!

Congrats!

Registered
The first time I did get her to shoot it was my 6in Python. We hadn't been married that long, anyway we were shooting at a silhouette. Well she puts 6 rounds in the crotch are !! I ask her if she wants to shoot anymore and she replies " No, just remember that!" - Maybe thats why we've been together for 36 yrs!!!

Reactions: CSM

Registered
Well, WWYS, I'm pleased, but not surprised, to hear this whole project turned out the way it did! Our congrats to wifey and her friends. It surely must be a bit more comfy in the family living room nowadays when the firearms subject comes up, particularly since Mom is a "Gun Culture Convert." I can relate to this and take great pleasure and comfort in knowing that Mrs. WWYS is among the 2A Patriots! Perhaps the little ones will also be ready when their time comes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts