Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi merc, although it is more complicated then I am listing here, the basic answers follow your questions.

"Is the PP .38 for the .38 Colt cartridge?"

A. Yes the PP (1st & 2nd issues) handles the 38 New Police, 38 S&W, even the 32 Colt, 32 New Police. But NOT the 38 Special.

"The PP Special a .38 special?"

A. Yes the PP Special (all issues) handles the 38 Spec.

"And what caliber is the PP Heavy Frame?"

A. The 2nd issue PP had a bit heavier frame than the 1st issue , but I don't think it was referred to as "heavy frame." It handles the same cartridges as the PP 1st issue.

The PPS was built with a frame heavier and longer than the PP to allow for the use of more powerful cartridges such as the 38 Spec. but it too was not referred to as "heavy frame."

The easy way to look at it is, PP is for smaller cartridges and has a smaller frame. The PPS is for larger calibers and has a larger frame.

The PP/PPS story gets confusing in that the PP had a 1st issue and a 2nd issue. Add to that a 1st and 2nd issue PP Target. Then comes along the PPS with 4 different issues. And if that is not confusing enough, throw in the PP MKV.

Hope this made some sense and answered your specific questions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Where this can REALLY get confusing(and WS23 did a clear & concise job) is getting grips or stocks for these revolvers. The grips changed in width with the larger frame or "heavier frame"(and this includes the PP Special). Then we have the short butt as introduced on the Courier and a little later the Agentin mid 50's) Then we kept the shorter butt on all D frames in the 60's and most models had a wood grip extension. I say this,because trying to buy stocks on the net,or even at a gun show(without having your gun to "try these on") can be frustrating and expensive! Bud

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi guys
I am a bit confused.
When I review a list of Colt models, I see Police Positive .38
Police Positive .32
Police Positive Special
Police Positive .22 Target
Police Positive Heavy Frame
Is the PP .38 for the .38 Colt cartridge?
The PP Special a .38 special?
and what caliber is the PP Heavy Frame?
Thanks

------------------
merc
Living without Liberty, is not Living

1 - 3 of 3 Posts