Colt Forum banner

Confused

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  MtnSpur 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to know if it okay to sell a Python and ship it to a buyer living in the country of California? I have been told by some that it is okay. Then on GB, I see some Pythons for sale where the seller states "No sales to California".

Why is that??? And how about New York??

#2 ·
It can only be shipped to CA if it qualifies as a C&R which means made in 1962 or prior. Newer models are not on the rather arbitrary list imposed by the liberals who have outbred the normal people and taken over the government. Plus, if it is OK to ship, an extra step is required regarding the paperwork transfer which is free to the seller and only takes a few minutes, but some sellers are too obstinate to deal with it or enjoy some sort of feeling of superiority by declaring they won't sell to a State that has elected fascists.

#3 ·
You can check the California Attorney General's web site. They have the current list of what's acceptable for sale in California. The only Python on there now is the 6" stainless steel model (I3060CS). For California, no rhyme nor reason. I can only assume that there aren't the same restrictions in New York State.

Personally, I wouldn't fool with California. There are 45-plus states which are far more gun-friendly. Just MHO.

#4 ·
There is an odd way to get a Python into California which has been discussed here before. The revolver needs to be converted to single action only. When it arrives in CA it can then be converted back to SA/DA (or, left as is in SA if one so chooses).

Of course, finding a seller who is willing to convert it to SA before shipping, an FFL in CA who understands the law and will receive it, and a gunsmith who will convert it back may all be problematic.

John Gross

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks fella's... This helps alot. I have a 1967 Python listed on GB. Just went to the auction and added that I could not sell to California. I have to feel for the gun lovers there, why would anyone want to live there???? Oh yah, it's because of all the bikini clad girls there and all of that sunshine...............

#9 ·
As a avid Collector, shooter and former FFL in California I am very familiar with the CA gun laws. Here are your options

1) If you do not live in CA You can ship to an FFL and he may then transfer it to an exempt purchaser (Law Enforcement, C&R holder if mfg before 1962)in California. If you are not a LEO or C&R the transfer cannot be completed and the gun will be shipped back to you at your expense. Additionally under this scenario your buyer will be required to pay sales tax....No i'm not kidding. And most FFL's will charge an additional $75 to $100 for this sale. Make sure your buyer is aware of this. Also please be aware that not all FFL's are comfortable doing these "non rostered" transactions so they may elect not to participate.

2) If you are a California resident you may sell a gun to an out of state resident as long as it transferred in the usual legal manner, FFL to FFL. California is always happy to remove guns from the state.

3) You may never transfer or import a "non rostered" semi automatic firearm if included in the sale is a detachable magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. To do so is a Felony

4) You may never sell, transfer or import a semi automatic firearm to a California resident if it is specifically classified as an "Assault Weapon" Firearms in this category were specifically identified by name under the 1989 Roberti-Roos assault weapon ban, however more recently the definition has expanded to include "evil features" such as detachable magazine, Pistol grip, flash suppressor, adjustable stock, bayonet mount. If the firearm has 3 or more features it is an assault weapon and you guessed it.....A felony!

In short. If you send a gun to California it has to be on the California Dept of Justice Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

A
nd by the way if the gun is "blue" and you ship the exact same gun in a "stainless" version that gun is illegal.

Good luck, be careful and please learn to be patient with us gun buyers in California it's tough out here and we are trying to fight the fight

#10 ·
Don't know about Cali but you have no problems going to NY.It has to be a FFL to NY FFL transfer so the gun can be registered on this end. Won't complain too much about NY except for the Assault Rifle Ban but California lawmakers must be heaviliy enjoying the legal Medicinal Marijuana laws to have such crazy laws LOL

#11 ·
mikegs
I don't know if you addressed my scenario. I understand that a private party can sell an off roster gun to a California resident. Or is your interpretation of that that it could only be an in state private party?
I have also seen and purchased guns not specifically shown on the roster as the roster does not specify finish on the gun. So my understanding, and what I have seen, is that anything on the 'same gun' on the roster, even if those things not stated, like the finish is different, the gun goes thru'.
It's what I have experienced.
Now we have seen many ffls that don't understand many of the convoluted laws here, and thus refuse to do something that the lawyers, and even the doj doesn't object to.
dc

Mike. I think it now occurs to me. If you are in the state, you are not "importing" the gun. And thus non roster guns can transfer in the state, and out of the state, but not into the state?

#12 ·
Mike. I think it now occurs to me. If you are in the state, you are not "importing" the gun. And thus non roster guns can transfer in the state, and out of the state, but not into the state?
That is correct, however, recently Calif AB169 sought to eliminate this type of transaction. AB169 eliminates any transfer of "non rostered" guns within the state. It was revised numerous times to finally allow up to 2 transfers a year. It has currently been postponed and will not be called for vote this session. Look for it in the future

#13 ·
It's funny, or maybe sad....with all of California's gun laws just to make it more difficult for responsible gun owners to buy guns that the state when compared to the other 50 states is in the top 5 in gun violence. If I an reading the stat right 72.2 of all crimes involve a gun, I bet if more people were armed that stat would go down. Sorry to drift from the OP topic.

#14 ·
Not to worry ping10, as the OP, I enjoy learning all about the foreign country of Kaliforniastan. It must be an interesting place in which to live................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.