Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a det special with a confusing serial number. The # is 986xxx which would put it in the 1968 time frame but there isn't a D in the number. According to everywhere I look, there should be a D. Thanks for the help in advance!!

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
Starting with the Gun Control Act of 1964 all firearms were required to have a serial number, and that number had to be a unique serial never used before.
At that time, most all gun makers started including letters in the serial numbers to make them unique.

Colt started using prefix letters.
I suspect that Colt may have been using frames already built and serial numbered to make the mid-60's "D" frames and so they needed no prefix letter until the started making new frames.
Another example is the early aluminum "D" frames were supposed to have an "LW" suffix after the numbers, but many early guns didn't.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Leadchop54
I see you have returned! After your last info gathering expidition on your military ordnance DS, and non responses, I did not think you would be back. Did you follow the auctuion where the DS you asked about sold for 2K plus?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.