Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread a few days ago on the revolver forum. I was getting input/advice on a Colt Anaconda and Colt Officer's model. Well, I purchased the Officer's model last night. So it seemed fitting to start new thread here. The photos show the pistol after I cleaned it. Per the good advice on this site, the experts suggested Mothers polish which I used. The pistol had been carried quite a bit so still has minor imperfections. I did not try to remove these as I read here that the nickel finish is only so deep. I think it turned out great. Pistol is in beautiful original condition. Came with 2 Colt mags and 4 aftermarket mags. No box, etc. I have scoured the web and have only found 1 on the 1911 forum which state that the gun was made a short time in nickel, perhaps stopping in 1985. Is it safe to say it is a scarce finish hopefully adding to the value? I paid $750 and always like to feel I can get my investment back if times get tough. I also had inquired about an Anaconda that same seller has that is very nice condition, no box, etc. but has replacement grips. Owner says he has original grips somewhere but is having trouble finding them. I am cautious buying without original grips. I have searched on this site and ebay for original grips but it is confusing in trying to find originals. I had made an offer of $900 but that was to include original grips. If I snooze I may lose. Should I offer him $800 as is and hold the last $100 back for when he finds the grips? It still is a lot of $$$, is this offer a good one? thanks for any input.

IMG_3331.jpg IMG_3333.jpg IMG_3334.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, I forgo to mention that I read somewhere that the nickel finish may have been a special order or such. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize, one further note. I also own a M1991A1 that appears to be the exact pistol, different finish. The Colt manual that came with it is the same one for the Officer's model. I shows the finishes for the Officer's as Colt Blue or SS which makes the nickel finish seem to be unusual, perhaps an upgrade.

·
Registered
781 Posts
How do you knowit's nickel? My guess would be that if they made it in nickel in 85, it wouldhave been the brushed electroless nickel they loved at that time.

It looks like the more-common polished stainless steel version to me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mushinto, I have been researching this further today and you are spot on. My Blue Book of Gun Values calls it "Ultimate" bright stainless steel. Seller had called it nickel and I latched on. I prefer this to nickel. serendipitous for me. I called Colt this morning regarding the mfg. date which he approximated as 1990. Thanks for the response. Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 1986 SS officers. I love it and it is my EDC.
I have never had a FTF or FTE with the gun and I have shot Thousands! of rounds through it.
I just recently replace the recoil spring and the firing pin spring - not because I had to - but because I just wanted to make sure I could save the originals.
I replaced the grips with wrap arounds similar to yours. I really like the gripiness of them.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
the only nickel officer's 45s were satin nickel, that is definitely bright stainless. you did fine getting it for 750.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ace. Price seemed reasonable but feels good having it validated. Glad you like yours PeterN. I assume the grips pictured on mine are original. Is that what you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts