Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I share my recent acquisition, a pair of consecutive Colt 38 special NM Midrange pistol. One appears to be unfired the other is slightly used. I'm a sucker for consecutive SN guns. There seems always a premium added on consecutive SN guns.... What's is a typically in percentage adder? Or is there such a guideline or rule of thumb?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Excellent,
I keep a data base on these. Is the other one 964 or 966?
Did you happen to get the boxes with test targets?
Do you have archive letters on them?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent,
I keep a data base on these. Is the other one 964 or 966?
Did you happen to get the boxes with test targets?
Do you have archive letters on them?
Unfortunately no to all. Sn is 964. Just wondering how many are on your list.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I have too many to count, probably around 400. About 150 with either shipping dates or test target dates or both in several instances. I'm pretty confident that your's were shipped in early 1961, but these pistols are really schizophrenic in regards to serial# VS shipping dates, more so than normal-if there is a normal.
Thank you for the information, I've added them to my data base and if you decide to get an Archive letter I would very much appreciate the shipping dates.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Enjoying sisters is fun...but enjoying twins is especially wonderful. Oh...you're talking about guns...'scuse me. :p

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Mr Greer, also a nice pair of pistols. I'm pretty sure I can tell by the recoil spring plugs, but are the barrels only marked "Colt .38 SPEC. N.M."?
Do you have Archive letters or the original test targets?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Mr Greer, also a nice pair of pistols. I'm pretty sure I can tell by the recoil spring plugs, but are the barrels only marked "Colt .38 SPEC. N.M."?
I'll have to double check on 334, but I am pretty sure I do have targets on both guns. The box for 334 was sadly abused... and is pretty much destroyed for collector purposes anyway, but the box for 333 is fine. I'll also have to double check the barrel markings... the posted pics are the only ones I have.

#333 shipped January 12, 1961 to Tamiami, FL, and #334 shipped January 9, 1961 to the editor of the Gun Digest from the loan account. Both were assembled on December 7, 1960.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Thank you very much for that information!
I appreciate you checking for the test targets and the markings on the barrel hoods.

I'll have to double check on 334, but I am pretty sure I do have targets on both guns. The box for 334 was sadly abused... and is pretty much destroyed for collector purposes anyway, but the box for 333 is fine. I'll also have to double check the barrel markings... the posted pics are the only ones I have.

#333 shipped January 12, 1961 to Tamiami, FL, and #334 shipped January 9, 1961 to the editor of the Gun Digest from the loan account. Both were assembled on December 7, 1960.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Rob, we're showing our age. F-4s in TAC and Buffs in SAC in my 4 years of USAF duty. At least they weren't props.

I too look for consecutive serial numbers and will pay a premium to get a twin. Don't know how that would equate when selling consecutive numbers; maybe add 15% - 25% ?

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,073 Posts
Consecutive 1903's. Condition is as new in the box. Shipped to San Francisco the week after Pearl Harbor.
A number of years ago I had the pleasure of watching a F-4 Phantom demonstration at Miramar. I had dinner in hanger #1 with several Top Gun pilots. On the tarmac, about 10 different fighters were displayed. It was an incredible experience. Each of the Top Gun pilots I met had advanced degrees such as a masters in mathematics, engineering, and chemistry. I left San Diego feeling very good about about our military and the quality of the people protecting our country. The guys I met were way above and beyond any expectations I had, and my expectations were high.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can tell by the recoil spring plugs, but are the barrels only marked "Colt .38 SPEC. N.M."?
This is correct. The barrels are stamped in single row "COLT .38 SPEC. N.M."

Is there a date that I can't make out on that target?
No - the targets are not dated. The top handwriting is "38 Wad Cutter", and it is signed by Otto Engelhardt. The target for #333 is the same.

#333 has a very nice box and a bunch of additional items included. (Brushes, Colt stamped multi screwdriver, small allen wrench, spare MkIII barrel, cleaning rod, and a couple other sales documents from the time.)

#334 has a box... kind of. At least it used to be a box. (Anyone have a correct box they no linger need?) Also has the target (that Rick posted above), and a couple other sales pieces from the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts