Colt Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was thrilled to find some magazines at CDNN for my Government .380. Haven’t seen them available in quite a while. Not bad @ $35 plus shipping for the two.

View attachment 682633
I use the Colt .380 Govt 7rd mags in my Mustang. Your pinky finger fit over the extended mag perfectly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My blued Colt .380 is fun, mostly use at 25 yard range with 95 grain ammo. Win 380 service grade is flat point which makes nice holes in paper targets; leaves big spot on steel. My gun won't extract Aguila ammo or cases though. I've also had Novaks put their LoMount Carry 380 tritium dot sights on it. Replaced the plastic recoil spring guide with a metal one from Jack First.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wanted a small Colt. I bought a stainless Mustang Pocketlite 380 in 2013 NIB for $715. I figured that stainless would hold up better for everyday use. I wanted a small EDC that I could just stick in my pocket and not bother with strapping on a holster for quick trips.

The Pocketlite had terrible feed/ejection problems (with at least 6 different ammo types). I was working out-of-state at the time, so I basically put it in the safe and forgot about it. In 2019 I sent a letter to Colt complaining about the feed/eject issues with my gun. They had me send it in for inspection.

Final result? Colt repaired the Pocketlite for FREE - even though I had let their 5 YEAR warranty lapse. The pistol now feeds everything I put in it. I can't say enough good things about Colt Customer Service. They had NO responsibility to fix it for free and yet they did. I actually have no idea exactly what they did to make it work, but I really don't care - it works!

Now that I'm retired, that little pistol goes everywhere with me and I love it!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
My blued Colt .380 is fun, mostly use at 25 yard range with 95 grain ammo. Win 380 service grade is flat point which makes nice holes in paper targets; leaves big spot on steel. My gun won't extract Aguila ammo or cases though.
I have the exact same problem with Aguila ammo in my Colt 380. It seems to handle everything else though.
Kim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought my pocketlite last year and it has been great. I also carry it everywhere I go in my DeSantis pocket holster. I haven't found a round that won't work in it. My concealed carry round is Buffalo Bore's +P JHP. It ramps velocity for 8xx fps up to 1175 fps. It's one of the few .380 rounds that pass the FBI ballistic gel test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my pocketlite last year and it has been great. I also carry it everywhere I go in my DeSantis pocket holster. I haven't found a round that won't work in it. My concealed carry round is Buffalo Bore's +P JHP. It ramps velocity for 8xx fps up to 1175 fps. It's one of the few .380 rounds that pass the FBI ballistic gel test.
I have wondered about using +P ammo in my stainless pocketlite. I have not seen a discussion about the pressure developed with +P and I've been reluctant to experiment. Are you aware of any reliable info about using +P in a Colt Mustang Pocketlite? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have wondered about using +P ammo in my stainless pocketlite. I have not seen a discussion about the pressure developed with +P and I've been reluctant to experiment. Are you aware of any reliable info about using +P in a Colt Mustang Pocketlite? Thanks.
Colt, as a matter of policy, doesn't recommend +P ammo in any of their guns. I searched the web and found a good deal of info on +P rounds in the pocketlite. None of which reported any problems with running the rounds. Try You Tube if you're interested. Remember, there are no official +P ratings by SAAMI for .380 rounds. That means all +P .380 rounds are not regulated. I fired enough +P rounds through my Pocketlite to "proof" the ammo in the gun. I don't shoot +P rounds in my guns for target practice. For that I shoot standard pressure FMJs.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
i have a colt mustang plus 2 380. I first shot it off sandbag rest at 15 yards. The group was good but high and right with 90 grain bullets. I tried to tap the rear sigh over some to get it ok with left/right but didnt have any luck trying to do so. The rear sight just didnt want to move and I quit trying cause i didnt want to bang on it to hard.

Anyway I tried again just offhand at 10 and 15 yards. For some reason it shot better for me offhand. It shot close to middle of target and not off to the right either or high or low just right around where I aimed.

I then shot offhand, about 30 rounds at a blank piece of white, 8/12 x 11 paper at 10 yards and they were all evenly dispersed around the center of paper.

I tried several different factory loads ( i dont load for the 380). I tried mostly 90 grain bullets ,some 92 grain and 95 grain.

My best group size (out of 6 shots at 15 yards was with 95 grain fmj Herters which was 2 3/4 ".

My best group size (out of 6 shots at 10 yards was 2 3/4:" with 92 grain fmj S and B

More typical was 3 3/4" at 10 yards with 90 grain fmj pmc and fiocchi 90 grain xtphp.

all above were offhand.

I just shoot it offhand for practice now and it is very consistent and shoots right around my poa. So, I am Very happy with this gun.

It isnt a colt detective special for accuracy but it is a very cool and good looking little gun that I can stick in my pocket or even sometimes a shirt pocket. it is so light and concealable and plenty accurate for its tiny size.

The only issue (and not much of one) is that with PMC shells for some reason on the last round after firing it doesnt eject the case. That is the ONLy issue I have ever had with it,and i dont use pmc much anyway now, since i mostly load it with the 90 grain xtphp Fiocchis,which work flawlessly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I view the Colt Government .380 as collectible...............But, I think the SIG P 238 is a much better gun, and probably can be had for less money in a number of different finish's..........

Tom

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Pre polymer Colt .380s ARE collectible , and ARE USABLE & VERY CAPABLE . They are somewhat expensive, but hey , you want a Colt or Kahr ?? I would like a 380 govt model , but my pony PL’s and mustang comfort me fine .
i know what they are capable of .

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
gotta love the whole mustang/+2/pocketlight/government family! The XSP is polymer framed, super light, and has the dovetailed front sight that the others don't have. Replacing it with the novak front night sight is a good upgrade, and makes for a very concealable defensive weapon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a Colt Mustang II it was a ok gun. When I got it I traded a Taurus PT99+ $25 or $50 cant remember. Was a nice little gun id find it hard to really trust it though I could never really get it to run 100% reliably..it would go right along shoot 25 straight without a hitch..then all of a sudden it would start stove piping or just misfeeding then go right back to going good...strange..could never really track down what made it do that..no one could..so I ended up getting rid of it...I probably paid the equivalent(in trade +cash of $300-325 for it back in say 1997 or so...id love to have kept it and sold it at today's prices :)...I dont really miss the gun any..im sure the newer once from the current makers are probably more reliable and a bit lighter...but that gun did have a nice feel in hand and when working right was rather accurate.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts