Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this posting is appropriate for this forum & section. This is a "sneak preview" photo of some Colt conversions (and a 72 Open Top) that will be listed for sale in my next Old Town Station Dispatch mail order catalog.

These are part of a nice Colt collection I picked up out of Texas, all of which will be listed for sale in my next catalog. There are also some fairly scarce early 20th Century Colt revolvers such as 1st issue Det. Special, Bankers Special, Courier, Marshall, etc. Details at http://armchairgunshow.com/preview.htm

I'm active in another gun-related info-pop forum & am delighted to have just found this one! I hope my initial postings are appropriate & acceptable for the standards for this forum -- if I've overstepped, please let me know & I'll remove or edit them immediately.

Thanks! -- Jim

------------------
Jim Supica

ArmchairGunShow

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also am a member of the other pop forum.

Thanks for the photos of the nice old Colts'always interested in D Frames and photos of such.

What's a D frame Marshal?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First off Jim, welcome to this forum. I am also a member over on the "other" forum and read your very informative posting when ever you put them up.
I'm not much into pre-war pieces either, Diamondbacks being my first (but not only) love, but would always enjoy any picture you may have of any Colts.
You are most assuredly welcome over here any time.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I not much up on the Colt frame designations - D is the small Det. Spec. frame isn't it? If so, I don't think the Marshall was a D frame -- it was based on the mid sized Official Police, except with a slightly rounded butt frame. About 2500 made in the mid 1950s.

I'd be interested in learning the Colt frame names. O is the SAA isn't it? What are the others?

I'd also like to find a good reference on the swing-out cylinder Colts. Best I've found is the Wilson/Sutherland book, and tho it's great, there's gotta be more info out there somewhere. -- Jim

------------------
Jim Supica

ArmchairGunShow

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The Official Police was built on the "I" frame.
There is the D-frame (small)
E-frame and I-frame (Pythons, OP, OMT, OMM, Three Fifty Seven, Trooper)
P-frame (SAA)
G,K,and Q-frames (.22 single actions)
J-frame (MkIII , MkV)
O-frame (1911)
S-frame (Woodsman)

There are quite a few more as you back up in time. I think there was a F-frame for the percussion BP revolvers. I have seen the King Cobra listed as a J-frame, but also by it's model designation AA. The Anaconda is also listed by it's model designation the MM.
As popular as all the New Services are I have never seen the frame designation for that revolver. It can get quite confusing as the names changes with evolution. An example is the .41 frame becomes the E-frame. Also conventional wisdom have the D-frame as the small frame, but the Pocket Positive was built on a smaller frame.
It's enough to make you pull your hair out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts