Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I could rechamber a Detective Special to .32 H&R Magnum from .32NP?Would it stand up to the added pressure? etc.If its do able, Who would you recommend to do this rechambering?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Probably 10-12 years ago,GunParts Co.bought an overun of Colt D Frame cylinders,that were in .32 NP,the same as .32 S&W long. These were the later(post war cylinders)that are the same length as .38 Special. The prewars,in .32 & .38 had shorter cylinders and frames. Anyway,GunParts Co. had these cylinders rechambered for the .32 Magnum. They also offered some .32 D frame barrels in a couple of lengths. This was a perfectly safe conversion,for FACTORY pressure .32 Mag loads. A friend had a nice 4" Police Positive .32 fitted with one of these cylinders and target sights fitted by a very competent gunsmith. The result was an excellent "trail gun". From a collector point of view,rechambering your .32 Detective Special would reduce its value,as .32s are not as common as .38 Specials. That said, I would look for an extra cylinder and have it rechambered and fitted. I picked up one on eBay for under $25,that I use in my lightweight Courier,instead of its original alloy cylinder. After all of this,it IS possible,by handloading,to get a .32 S&W long(.32 Colt New Police) up to nearly 900 fps with 100 gr lead semi wadcutter,but it isn't recommended as a steady load. Bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts