Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like these Coonan's, never owned one, always wanted to. The company went outta biz decades ago but the brand has been revived by someone else? I would take this over one of those desert eagle monstrosities, Colt must have toyed with the idea of .357 1911 at one time or another........

Air gun Trigger Rectangle Gun barrel Wood

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Last I heard, the revival needs reviving. It is a very expensive gun to produce with about 100 potential customers in any given year. Not being as legendary as the AutoMag, it has always faced an uphill battle. However, it is one of the few proven designs that would make, for example, a usable 9mm Magnum or .30 Carbine semi-auto.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The company producing the second version of the Coonan went out of business in 2019 I believe. I have one I bought about 5 years ago and have the standard and compensated barrels for it. The price of the ones coming on the market used now is impressive, not to mention the usual massive increase in the price of magazines no longer made.
Tool Rectangle Auto part Set tool Ratchet

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The company producing the second version of the Coonan went out of business in 2019 I believe. I have one I bought about 5 years ago and have the standard and compensated barrels for it. The price of the ones coming on the market used now is impressive, not to mention the usual massive increase in the price of magazines no longer made. View attachment 805148
yah thats a monster, must kick like a mule

·
Registered
657 Posts
My buddy has one of the originals and I have shot it. I don't know which model but it does not kick like you would think it would. It really is pleasant to shoot. In fact we were getting a lot of failures to eject almost like it was just not powerful enough to operate the slide. He told me the magazines are hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had wanted one for years since I love the .357 Magnum cartridge, especially with Pythons. I bought a nice one with an extra magazine years ago and have shot it a number of times. If you are used to Magnum shooting, it is no problem to handle. I have never had any issues with ammo feeding or firing. You have to change springs when switching to .38 loads from Magnum. Easy enough to do. They are somewhat rare to find, not much demand but relatively unknown, still. Very nice part of my collection, though, since I have also always enjoyed shooting the 1911s.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
There was a review of the original Coonan in Guns & Ammo Test Fire back in the late 1980s. (I have a copy.) The writer said the grips were about 1/2" larger in circumference than a common 1911, and roughly the same as the Beretta used by our military. He also stated that if not properly lubricated, the gun experienced many issues. Properly lubricated the gun worked well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the links. I will be watching both since I have one and enjoy it. I also have larger hands and the grip is no problem for me but definitely is an issue for smaller handed shooters. It's just a fun pistol to have and play with and shoot! There have been a lot of problems with them over the years, I believe. Time to get it out of storage and play with it again! Thanks.

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Having a Coonan has been on my bucket list for quite some time...same as a Bren Ten. It's just that the price of admission has gotten far too high just for the sake of owning one.

Maybe one day I'll find one of each that's reasonable to buy...maybe after I win the Lottery...which I rarely play.

Reactions: Swamp Yankee

·
Registered
523 Posts
Having a Coonan has been on my bucket list for quite some time...same as a Bren Ten. It's just that the price of admission has gotten far too high just for the sake of owning one.

Maybe one day I'll find one of each that's reasonable to buy...maybe after I win the Lottery...which I rarely play.
Would love to have a Bren 10 but can't justify spending what it would cost to get one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had wanted one for years since I love the .357 Magnum cartridge, especially with Pythons. I bought a nice one with an extra magazine years ago and have shot it a number of times. If you are used to Magnum shooting, it is no problem to handle. I have never had any issues with ammo feeding or firing. You have to change springs when switching to .38 loads from Magnum. Easy enough to do. They are somewhat rare to find, not much demand but relatively unknown, still. Very nice part of my collection, though, since I have also always enjoyed shooting the 1911s.
I also have a 357 magnum conversion kit for my L.A.R. Grizzly. Another one with a larger grip. After shooting it in 45 Win Mag, 357 is no big deal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts