Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being well into the ages (85) that are advised to stay at home I am attempting to keep myself occupied. I can play with my newest acquisition (see below). Look at upcoming auctions, if they are not cancelled. Read, I am just finishing a great history 1774 by Norton and thanks to the forum have just received The Texas Rangers in the Mexican Revolution, should keep me busy for a while.

Jim

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
6,425 Posts
Yes, especially for the super seniors here it's time to sit back and enjoy the guns that we have purchased over the years. My wife and I are staying home and for us there is no real reason to go out and subject ourselves to coming in contact with the virus. I have a lot of gun research to do via my gun library and the Computer along with a few reports on a couple of subjects that I have been studying. I have been working on trying to obtain the serial numbers and descriptions of all of the engraved Colt New Services and Shooting masters. Colt shipped 75 of them and I have acquired information on 65 along with photos on about 50. This project along with writing a couple of articles for the magazine is keeping me plenty busy and time passes quickly. I view it as a pleasant break without interruptions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm a high school history teacher and I'm working from home. My district has access to excellent technology tools to make this happen. Our local cable company is providing two months of free home wifi for our low income kids. It's not ideal, but the best we can do. We are working on plans for these kids to find them access to free and reduced breakfast and lunch via delivery.

My parents are very high risk but I think we've got them locked down.

Best of luck to all of you. I'm really pleased with the civility I'm seeing locally.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Did our normal weekly shopping yesterday. While the wife was busy I was taking pictures and discussing the issue via text with buddies in Seattle, Oakland and London. I'm in Boise. Pretty much everyone in the same boat. Lots of empty shelves and panic buying.

Crazy times. Seems more like a bad sci-fi movie than reality. The universe flips again. My we all be blessed to live in interesting time!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I was in St. Charles, MO Saturday, meeting a couple fellows to conduct business that was to be done at the Tulsa show. One fellow mentioned there was a gun show scheduled at the convention center, across the interstate from where we met. I drove by afterwards and was surprised to see the parking lot full and dozens of people walking in and out of the show. I opted to drive on by and return home without exposing myself to anything floating around in the crowd. I'm not much of a gambler and opt to play a long game. This, too, will pass.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I have been laid up for ten months already with a hip replacement plus fell and cracked it again a couple months ago so I have been in practice with laying low. Will be 79 next month but feel better than I look. Thank God for my wife that has been taking good care of me and the house. I personally am not worried about the virus but am gravely wounded with our IRA. Not worried for me but am for my much younger wife. I think all this is highly overblown and politically used to terrorize the country. Hey, years ago Polio was a bigger threat and the stock market didn't crash and the stores were`nt stripped nor schools closed, sports events stopped etc. It does effect all of us even if it`s blown out of poportion or not.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
This is out of Wikipedia: In the United States, the 1952 polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in the nation's history, and is credited with heightening parents’ fears of the disease and focusing public awareness on the need for a vaccine.[SUP][23][/SUP] Of the 57,628 cases reported that year 3,145 died and 21,269 were left with mild to disabling paralysis.
I knew a brother and sister that got it in the early 1950`s. The boy died with it. The world didn't stop, the market didn't crash, there wasn't runs on the stores, people didn't fight over toilet paper, why is it different today?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Real strange events like a Zombie movie for real, the 'preppers' have been proven correct, be a good idea to have a shed filled with sundreys to weather the storm.

I had a medical appointment that was cancelled- according to the call, all non- emergency services are being looked at for delay postponement due to the virus outbreak.

I went down to a local Thai restaurant, where I hang out the other day to see my pard's and talk to the cute girls, place was dead as hell, people are just doing take out. People who work for tips are getting hurt.

There is a deep lessen to be learned from this incident we all know it- I don't want to get put in the cooler so that's all I will say.

No worries staying in- lots of movies, books, infernal machine window on the world etc. all the diversion you could want. My better half is still working- but works in a pretty safe area so should be OK. I have a key to a seldom used gym so I can do my old devil exercise without running into people.

I like the SDT idea! I want one with Japanese steel inside! lol No can do here in tofu land- but I have this.

https://silodrome.com/unbreakable-umbrella/

Everyone stay safe out there- wish you all the best.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Regardless of whether or not it is overblown, it is a reality and has to be dealt with. Dr. Fauci said it best; we need to take measures that might seem to some as overkill, but it really isn't because we are so far behind simply looking at the outbreaks. All the results show things that happened 10-14 days ago. We have to project into the future to get caught up dealing with it.

Yes, the markets may be suffering. But what good is money if you're not around to spend it. when we start showing that we can treat the virus and heal people, the markets will come back. I just feel sorry for those relying on the markets who are forced to sell.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
This is out of Wikipedia: In the United States, the 1952 polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in the nation's history, and is credited with heightening parents’ fears of the disease and focusing public awareness on the need for a vaccine.[SUP][23][/SUP] Of the 57,628 cases reported that year 3,145 died and 21,269 were left with mild to disabling paralysis.
I knew a brother and sister that got it in the early 1950`s. The boy died with it. The world didn't stop, the market didn't crash, there wasn't runs on the stores, people didn't fight over toilet paper, why is it different today?
That comes out to a 5.5% death rate. My brother is 65, and he was left with a deformed leg and foot. Perhaps the world should have stopped for a while.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I started limiting my activities on Friday afternoon, after I went to my local LGS to pick up an item I had on layaway, and saw the store busier than I had ever seen before (background checks were taking 3 hours!). I joked with one of the clerks that I was happy to see them get the business, but what did people think they were going to do... shoot the virus?

After that, I decided to stay indoors over the weekend.

1 - 20 of 394 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.