Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Tomorrow is Saint Patties Day so I might get just a touch of Irish whiskey to celebrate my family roots. It's something to look forward to and what generations did to get here.

I did assemble an AR today from parts bought at a fair price. It's fun but time to load some to feed it.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
It's surreal how everything is closing: Schools, like where my wife works, colleges like where my son goes, and many small businesses will be closing in the next few days. I'm trying to fathom is this really that dangerous? Would the Federal Gov actually allow the economic collapse if it weren't? I have to believe what the CDC and that Dr. Fauci are saying: It is so contagious that most of us will catch it, compared to the yearly "bad" flu which not that many do. I know I never get a flu shot, and haven't had a real bad one yet.

But this virus you get just with someone breathing on you, or touching a surface they touched hours before. No big deal, IF it doesn't effect people too severely. But we don't know what the death rate will be here. I know they're sweating if it "explodes" because no one abides by the rules to hunker down. Imagine if 200 Million come down with it in the next few weeks. They do NOT want that. Better to slow the spread, and let the hospitals have the space and resources to treat the few that have severe reactions.

I plan to not go out for the next two weeks, if at all possible. Not a difficulty for me, I was in the navy on a ship. Sometimes we didn't see land for months. We can all do it, and it will slow the spread and save lives. Stay home, don't risk an explosive spike in the spread.

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
I carry one and call it a "social distancing tool." If you're close enough to hit with my SDT.... you're too damn close! I'm also wearing white, disposable exam gloves. I feel like Al Jolson.
I have a "Safe Distancing Tool" at the ready and "wearing white, disposable exam gloves" that have been
repurposed from the gun cleaning stash.
And still wash my hands often even though I don't go out any more.

Alert...I wear the above mentioned gloves looking at any mail that comes in....
The Rampant Colt Spring issue arrived today, nice story by Cam Cogsdill....

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The world didn't stop, the market didn't crash, there wasn't runs on the stores, people didn't fight over toilet paper, why is it different today?
it's different because now we have several 24 hr news networks on tv, the internet filled with websites, forums, and social media to spread the word and add rumors, plus the fact that back then the majority of the populace had backbones which are getting harder and harder to find today.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Illinois is phasing in shutdowns. Today all bars and restaurants are to close for 2 weeks minimum. They can still try and serve by delivering or curbside pickup. No school, convention or any other large gatherings. I suspect more to come. So much static out there and conspiracy theories etc. The lost jobs and businesses is going to be devastating.Use common sense. Its not the flu. I am 63 and staying in. Stores are insane with panic. Be safe all. We will make it thru.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,432 Posts
I have a "SDT" at the ready and "WDEG" that have been repurposed from the gun cleaning stash.
And still wash my hands often even though I don't go out any more.

Alert...I wear the above mentioned gloves looking at any mail that comes in....
The Rampant Colt Spring issue arrived today, nice story by Cam Cogsdill....
Thanks and I have been doing the same when it comes to wearing gloves when the mail or a UPS package arrives. I put the mail in the garage for three days before opening it. By then any virus is dead. I know it sounds like over kill but its better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The world didn't stop, the market didn't crash, there wasn't runs on the stores, people didn't fight over toilet paper, why is it different today?
Most people today aren't the self-reliant types. Buying bottled water when the tap works, check. Powers out in your neighborhood so the gas pumps won't work, but in the next town over they do, check. This kind of thinking has been getting worse every year, government/mommy/daddy will take care of me, good luck with that. Back in 1993 we had a wind storm that knocked out power in our region for six days. On day three I told my wife I was going up to the store to get some beer. Pandemonium with people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. "Where's the batteries, where's the water"? So I grab a half rack of Miller High Life and head up to the register, silence. People are looking at me like I'm the crazy one, so of course with no generator backup the register won't work to make me change, gave the girl some bills and told her to keep the rest. Unfortunately in our "modern" society it's not going to get any better in the years ahead.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Most people today aren't the self-reliant types. Buying bottled water when the tap works, check. Powers out in your neighborhood so the gas pumps won't work, but in the next town over they do, check. This kind of thinking has been getting worse every year, government/mommy/daddy will take care of me, good luck with that. Back in 1993 we had a wind storm that knocked out power in our region for six days. On day three I told my wife I was going up to the store to get some beer. Pandemonium with people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. "Where's the batteries, where's the water"? So I grab a half rack of Miller High Life and head up to the register, silence. People are looking at me like I'm the crazy one, so of course with no generator backup the register won't work to make me change, gave the girl some bills and told her to keep the rest. Unfortunately in our "modern" society it's not going to get any better in the years ahead.
And there was a time when everyone rallied around the country and the PRESIDENT....unfortunately every little hiccup finds conspiracy nitwits and political finger pointing. Sad really. I saw people walking out of the store with 2 carts full of toilet paper and water. Power is on. Water is Lake Michigan and its not going anywhere. I asked these 2 women if zombies are going to chew thru the water pipes. There are also people going from store to store and selling the stuff on Ebay and Amazon or bringing the supplies to their little corner stores to sell for a goofy markup. People are fighting over hand sanitizer. Crazy. I have plenty to eat for a few weeks. Hopefully we will have a handle on this thing and know where its going by then.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Of Course! ...well he asked! Here's a link to me and Jimmy,a very old friend and drummer, covering Don & Phil. We call ourselves "The Elderly Brothers":cool:
https://soundcloud.com/rbscrim
Nice tune.
You all hiring? ;)

Winchesters and a ShoBud 6139.
A young man named Conner loaded it into my truck last summer.
I was a bit busted up, just released from the hospital, and wasn't going home without it.
Shipped down from up North and was in the music store for five days waiting on me.
Chuck was his Great Uncle and my brother's buddy, Chuck's son, lived on the same block, drag boating fun until they were banned from Lake Castaic years ago.

Small world.

Gave my brother my new Ace decades ago for bear protection. Long funny story.

Needs three more knee levers and lotsa lotsa practice.
I play woodwinds and fretted strings, and my singing ain't nothing but someone's earache!!!

Always remember, "when Cowgirls are singing, the boys in the band play in tune". :D
Broadway needs a facelift and some gals I grew up with want a Tony.
I need to live forever.

Wild ride this week as our young Mayor, got it, and that's family/friends with some of young gals with child.
Will buy the new one a set of Bagpipes.

have fun
stay safe
RT

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I wouldn’t condemn all these people......things are going to get worse. It is not the virus or disease process that scares them, it is the breakdown in the infrastructure that scares us. If this continues long enough we are all going to be hurting for products and services we previously enjoyed unencumbered and there is the reality that some things may never recover. Many folks have experienced natural disasters and this is going to take more effort and time. If things don’t start to subside it wouldn’t surprise me if in the next few weeks we are under martial law.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
This is out of Wikipedia: In the United States, the 1952 polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in the nation's history, and is credited with heightening parents’ fears of the disease and focusing public awareness on the need for a vaccine.[SUP][23][/SUP] Of the 57,628 cases reported that year 3,145 died and 21,269 were left with mild to disabling paralysis.
I knew a brother and sister that got it in the early 1950`s. The boy died with it. The world didn't stop, the market didn't crash, there wasn't runs on the stores, people didn't fight over toilet paper, why is it different today?
I was one of those Merril; I was 5 years old in 1952 and unable to walk. I was confined to the hospital for a year then back home. The rule was to burn all of my clothes and playthings and isolate me from others. I was able to return to normalcy by 1954, thank God.

A nearby boy was placed in, what was then called, an iron lung and later died, like in your circumstance.

Like others here, we're nestled in and I'm catching up on my reloading. Everyone be safe!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
998 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
A week ago when we did our normal grocery trip we stocked up on canned goods, frozen food, canned biscuits, meat and brought our paper products to a monthly level.
I have a whole house propane generator, bottled water, artisan well, 150 gallons of gas and diesel storage and lots to work on within our little 7 acre plot.
Won't panic until threatened.
Hopefully this goes away in 30 days.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think what would help more then anything else would be to put the 24 hour news in quarantine for two weeks. I think they are doing more harm then the virus. We will get over this like we have everything else in life. it will pass and the news will find some other earth ending emergency to try and raise their ratings.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For years our politicos, whatever the wing they are members of, have told us that the “LIVING TOGETHER”and “SOCIAL DIVERSITY” are paramount in our modern way of life. Actually, observing the way the people behave in the supermarkets, I think we are closer to the Mad Max' or Walking Dead' atmosphere than a Stairway to Heaven ….

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I admit to having some fear of this virus but try to turn it into a positive when I can. Watching my movie collection of old westerns and working on my guns. Reloading some but I confess about two weeks ago I ordered 7 fifty round boxes of various factory handgun ammo and it's due in tomorrow. It's a rare time I shoot factory ammo.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,614 Posts
I'm never out of things to do, even though I can no longer build model tanks..... you can't really fire up an airbrush in a small apartment when your wife goes ballistic at the smell of the paint solvents and the solvent glues.

I'm considering building a balsa and tissue model airplane.
I built this same kit in the mid-1960's and did a so-so job, I built it again in the early 1980's and more or less blew it off because by that time the detail of plastic models far exceeded these simple balsa models that are really intended to be flying toys. As such they have no details at all.
If I go for it, I'll build this one using as much scratch built details as I can cram in, including a complete cockpit and engine.
Since these use wood glues and super glue the smell won't bug her, but the wing span is 20 inches so I don't know where I'll put it when it's finished.
I might check and see if the local veterans home might want it to display.

download.jpg

Since it's Spring I'll just go to the range and shoot, and that's outdoors no problem.

I read books like most people eat M&M's and I get most of them as eBooks so I have no problem entertaining myself.

I read a lot of editorials online and do some of the gun forums.

As for past epidemics, I can relate far more then most people.
There were no stock market fluctuations and no buying panic, no one closed up business's, but it was in certain respects a very rocky time.

21 - 40 of 394 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.